Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Getting ready for bw development which developer?

Re: Getting ready for bw development which developer?

Reciprocity does add complications. The scan seems ok, though, with enough shadow detail and low contrast. That's preferable because it's easier to add contrast while keeping everything looking good than lowering it. I'm not sure why your using Colorperfect. Why not just invert with a curve? Look at each color channel, i.e. press ctrl 2, then 3, then 4 at 100%. Which looks best? Use channel mixer, click make monochrome, put the best channel at 100% and the others at zero. At that point you can convert to your BW working space, which will save a lot of space, unless you need an RGB file for some of your filters/actions.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    The one I was working on will not scan. Now I have an idea of how dense a negative will not scan correctly. I missed this one by at lest 3 stops. Interestingly enough, there are still areas that are very dark, while the the rest just sucks. Not to mention the image is super grainy. What I did notice is that all of these "over-exposed" images developed with Tmax developer at normal time and temp are over cooked. The ones developed with Pyrocat seemed more normal, like the one above. I will be making a series of test shots this week to determine how I should be exposing properly. I wonder if these dense negatives would print very well traditionally? Or if they are just crap.
    Yep, not surprised whatsoever that your T-Max developer negatives are overcooked. When I did an actual Zone System test, T-Max developer needed something like 50% less development time than indicated for me. YMMV.

Graininess is indicative of overexposure and overdevelopment.

Later tonight I'll be posting some T-Max 100 exposed normally in "perfect" conditions (contrast range is perfect I mean) developed at 75F in Pyrocat 1:1:100 for 9 minutes, as I mentioned earlier.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Brian's right on regarding graininess.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

I use Colorperfect because it is what I learned and when I do color negatives I get decent results. Other methods I totally pooch. It seems to work well enough for me, but I assume there is always a better way. Sometimes I use NIK silverefx pro which requires an rgb file.

I will try as you suggest tomorrow with curves and compare results. Wish I could spend a month just practicing and learning.

Apparently Tmax developer (not Tmax Rs) is only meant for roll film not sheet film according to the data sheet https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...CR7PjLLG7VwYRW

You can get Dichroic fog if it's used with sheet film.

Andrew is right. TMax RS is what was recommended for sheet film. I forget why. And why is important detail about the shot put in another thread? Just to make commenting usefully as hard as possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Tymon View Post
    Apparently Tmax developer (not Tmax Rs) is only meant for roll film not sheet film according to the data sheet https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...CR7PjLLG7VwYRW
    You can get Dichroic fog if it's used with sheet film.

The non RS version can also be used, many people used the non RS version for sheets without problems, it looks that DFog may happen if some kind of tap water is used to mix the working solution. Anyway if having problems (with the non RS) then one may mix it with distilled/deionized water, with some (low residue) mineral water, or also one may use a reverse osmosis filter for tap water.

At the time Kodak UK detected that problem only with a few customers, but of course if there is a chance to ruin LF sheets they have to mention it.

Here is the info. I was just making a comment about an observation. My bad.

"Thanks Bryan. I'm finding out too, that negatives that are really dense, even though they look good on the light table, really suck for scanning. I'm working on one now developed with Tmax dev at normal times, but I cooked the negative by about 3 stops over exposed. I mention because the lightening one was super thin in the foreground but I still got detail with little work. The current one is just the opposite."

Getting ready to do the test shots.

I plan to make 4 exposures on a single sheet of film for the dark and the light that would represent iso 50 to 100 in 1/3 stops, ie, 50, 64, 80 and 100. I will make several sheets of dark and light so I can see how each of my developers work at standard dilution and temp and then what happens when I say dilute the Tmax dev by 50% as suggested earlier. This would be for Tmax Dev, HC-110, Pyrocat. I will also test using each of these in a semi-stand method as well as 2-bath pyro, etc.

I would rather spend 100 bucks doing this than 100 bucks on so so images with a higher than average failure rate.

This would give me 25 sheets of Tmax100 with 4 exposures for dark and 25 sheets for the lights shot the same way.

If I am going to test, might as well test and learn what the products I have will be able to do. Hopefully, I can get this done by Sunday.

How are you going to do that, namely 1/3 stop increments on a sheet of film?