Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting ready for bw development which developer?

Re: Getting ready for bw development which developer?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    Question, why use half box speed? For the Tmax100 that would then be 50 (of course ) I see this all the time, and curious why not use the rated box speed of 100?
    The results of doing many of these tests. Unless you're using a speed-boosting developer, such as Xtol, you're unlikely to get a good Zone I density using box speed. It's not impossible, but it's unlikely. If your Zone I densities are too high, extrapolate. If they're too low, then you can't do that as easily.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I'm a bit rushed, but you start by Zone I at EI 50 with TMX. If you close down 1/3 stop, you're now treating the film as if it's EI 64. Opening up would be giving more exposure, which is in effect rating the film even lower.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Which densitometer? X-Rite The 361T Densitometer, X-Rite 810TR or X-Rite 810? I looked in the archives and people seem to recommend the X-Rite 810, but that was 15 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    I'm a bit rushed, but you start by Zone I at EI 50 with TMX. If you close down 1/3 stop, you're now treating the film as if it's EI 64. Opening up would be giving more exposure, which is in effect rating the film even lower.
    Okay, makes sense now. Thanks.

Which densitometer? X-Rite The 361T Densitometer, X-Rite 810TR or X-Rite 810? I looked in the archives and people seem to recommend the X-Rite 810, but that was 15 years ago.
    I'm finishing a darkroom calibration/proofing tool for masking that has a densitometer. You make a low/fast dpi scan of the negative alongside with an Stouffer wedge, you mark the position of the 1 and 21 patches with two clicks, and after that you point any spot on the negative with mouse to see density.

Under desnsity it shows the lux.second the silver paper will receive and the related H value, for that you enter the lux.second exposure the paper would receive if the carrier was empty.

If you want to be a beta tester just PM and I'll send it to you, it does many other things like film/paper automatic, masking proofing, etc but user interface has to be refined a lot. The density readings are very accurate, as gray levels are compared to the Stouffer.

I don't know if the rest will be useful, but densitometer is pretty convenient and accurate.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	densi.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	194500

Views:	14 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	194501

These are the Pyrénées

I wanting a real densitometer you may take a RX surplus one, I've a Nuclear Associates Model 07-443 that I got near for free, now there is one at ebay for $125 or auction. Highly accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    I'm finishing a darkroom calibration/proofing tool for masking that has a densitometer. You make a low/fast dpi scan of the negative alongside with an Stouffer wedge, you mark the position of the 1 and 21 patches with two clicks, and after that you point any spot on the negative with mouse to see density.

Under desnsity it shows the lux.second the silver paper will receive and the related H value, for that you enter the lux.second exposure the paper would receive if the carrier was empty.

If you want to be a beta tester just PM and I'll send it to you, it does many other things like film/paper automatic, masking proofing, etc but user interface has to be refined a lot. The density readings are very accurate, as gray levels are compared to the Stouffer.

I don't know if the rest will be useful, but densitometer is pretty convenient and accurate.

Views:	22 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	194500

Views:	14 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	194501

These are the Pyrénées

I wanting a real densitometer you may take a RX surplus one, I've a Nuclear Associates Model 07-443 that I got near for free, now there is one at ebay for $125 or auction. Highly accurate.

Will it work on a mac? I don't use a pc. If so, I wouldn't mind beta testing.

Will it work on a mac? I don't use a pc. If so, I wouldn't mind beta testing.
    sorry, it's win32, from xp to w10, but perhaps WINE may make it run in mac

Or jack Daniel's

Another choice is VirtualBox in Mac, and installing Win there

Yeah I have seen that and others. Not a fan of windows.