Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting ready for bw development which developer?

Getting ready for bw development which developer?

I have HC110, TMAX developer and Pyrocat HD. Film is Acros and Tmax100. Most are extreme contrasts. Sunrise/sunset. Long exposures of Lightning as well at night.

Should I go

2-bath Pyrocat
    Pyrocat A+B single solution
    HC110
    Tmax Dev

Next. I have used all but 2-bath for minimal agitation with good results.

I need to prevent highlights from blowing out and shot images with N -1 to-3 in mind to do so.

What is everyones recommendations? Also how much loss should I expect in shadows from N- development?

Bleaching is another option.

Whichever route on developing I want to stick with it for entire batch. Which is quite a bit.

Re: Getting ready for bw development which developer?

I love the Acros/Pyrocat-HD combo and, depending on your processing, Pcat certainly won't blow out the high values. You may, also, want to consider D-23; it's a somewhat compensating developer.

Don't have any D23 on hand. But will keep in mind for next time. I like the Pcat, but with all the issues lately, I am hesitant to use it until I mix my own.

For extreme subject brightness range scenes, I'd use 2-bath Pyrocat.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

My first thought was D-23, since that's out, if you have concerns with the pyrocat. HC-110 is the old standby.

There is typically about 3 to 6 stops difference between my ZV and max highlights, not counting the sun. So I kept notes figuring I would do an N- development to rain in highlights to be no more than 3 stops max.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    There is typically about 3 to 6 stops difference between my ZV and max highlights, not counting the sun.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dev.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	194434

Each unit in the graph (H exposure log) is 3.3 stops, so anyway with TMX you have an insane latitude range, more than destroying lights you achieve very high densities that are difficult to print in the darkroom. If you scan/save 16 bits per channel and later you bend curves in Ps you have less problem. For darkroom printing it's better not reaching such a densities because it would be a nightmare to obtain a sound print

With N- developments you lose 1/3 to 2/3 stops in the shadows depending on the N- factor.

For a very wide range you should combine N- and lower agitation, you don't need minimal agitation to have an effect, for nigh photography I use xtol 1:2 with agitation each 3 to 5 min, with the sheet in a tray to avoid bromide streaks, in this shot the clock was at +7: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125592...5/28693688313/ , (it was HP5)

Another way it woud be using TXP that compresses the shadows (mid/long toe) allowing to reach lower densities in the highlights, and also having a shoulder with proper processing:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	txp.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	194435

TMX has a linear toe with very recoverable shadows, txp instead compresses more the shadows, if your print will anyway have those shadows compressed (to allow a wide enough range for mids) then TXP is better because it allows you to encode the rest of the range while reaching lower densities, simply because the shadows take a lower density range to be encoded.

You may make this test...

Take 3 tmx rolls, you can split a 36 exposure rolls in 3 rolls. Shot a reference scene, spot meter well each reference area and bracket exposure, shot the same in the 3 rolls. Develop N, N-1 and N-2. You will have how it looks each under/over exposure with each N+/-

From that you have exhaustive information to take exposure development decisions in the field, because you know what result will deliver each exposure/dev combination for each spot metered area in the scene.

Very interesting. In my case, this first attempt will be a best guess. I may shook t the step wedge today and use that info for the different developers I have and see what gives me results I am after. I won't do this with my Acros though since it isn't made anymore. But I have plenty Tmax100.

multiplex

i'd use caffenol c and add a 20-30cc of stock print developer.