Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jobo 2509n issue: rotates freely on center spindle

Charles S

Jobo 2509n issue: rotates freely on center spindle

Hi 'all,
    I have a problem that has me stumped; the 2509n film holders rotate freely on the center spindle of my 2550 tank.
    Having found nowhere any indication that it needs to be tight, I have used the combination on a rotary developer and only one sheet closest to the spindle came out. The other 5 sheets were lost. I used about 1L of dev and fix, so more than needed for rotary development. Given that the filmholder can rotate freely I am assuming that this is the problem. I have made a second attempt trying to lock the holder on the spindle with rubber bands, but they did't hold and the result was the same.

Before I get out the glue gun, does anybody have any suggestions ?
    Your help is much appreciated

Re: Jobo 2509n issue: rotates freely on center spindle

Make sure the clips that hold the film in position are located correctly , and put the correct amount of liquid's in it .

A litre of developer sloshing around in it has a fair bit of weight behind it and could be "flushing" the film out of it's channels . One litre of water weight 1 kg , the same as a bag of sugar . That's whats hitting your film and likely pushing it out , wet film is quite flexible .

If you have it in the Jobo 2520 tank then you should be using 270ml if processing by rotation .
    If you were developing by inversion you would need 1.5 litre to cover the film whilst it is standing . Either way , you need to use the correct amount depending on method used .

https://www.firstcall-photographic.c...df/pdf3756.pdf

The spindle is to make a light tight way of getting the fluids in , doesn't matter if you have 5x4 spools loaded , 135 or 120 , they don't need to be secured to the centre spindle .
    The liquid moves around the film freely during agitation or rotation , it doesn't matter if the spools can move .
    The liquid moves easier and faster and flows between the sheets .

Securing the spools to the spindle might cause issues .
    If they needed to rock solid , Jobo , Patterson and the like would have made them so they didn't move .

my reels are snug to the post, which also acts as a light baffle. For rotary processing they shouldn't move freely around the post since that would have an affect on the film receiving chemistry. Also I'm presuming you mean you can spin them by hand easily.

As a point of reference, all my steel Hewes reels are very snug on the posts in my 15XX series tanks. I'd put a piece of electrical tape down the post to see if that helps with the movement. If replaced often, I shouldn't think there'd be any issues with adhesive residue coming off.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Charles S

Quote Originally Posted by neilt3 View Post
    Securing the spools to the spindle might cause issues .
    If they needed to rock solid , Jobo , Patterson and the like would have made them so they didn't move .
    Let me show you in a video what i meant
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ezgif-3-bc25a2337507.gif 
Views:	119 
Size:	139.8 KB 
ID:	194432
    I doesn't make sense to me that for a rotary development tank the spindle is fixed to the tank with a tab at the bottom, while the spindle can move this freely

The reels should be secure to the central spindle.

The tabs at the bottom of the central spindle engage in the bottom of the tank so that during rotation of the tank, the reel will move around dipping the film in the chemicals during rotation.

Either the spindle is worn or the reels have lost their raised centres that hold them to the core.

However, looking at your video, the core in your hand looks to be too long for the 2500 tanks, so i suggest checking you have the right core.

Mike

Charles S

Thx. It’s the right core.
    It came w the 2550 tank which can hold 2 2509 spools. In fact, there is a bottom part and a top part that can be detached

Charles S

I’ll try again and fix the spool w rubber bands. If this works i’ll glue it in place

Quote Originally Posted by Charles S View Post
    Let me show you in a video what i meant
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ezgif-3-bc25a2337507.gif 
Views:	119 
Size:	139.8 KB 
ID:	194432
    I doesn't make sense to me that for a rotary development tank the spindle is fixed to the tank with a tab at the bottom, while the spindle can move this freely
    that doesn't look good at all. I also wouldn't glue the reels to the post, if that's what you were thinking of doing. try tape, or buy new posts from B&H or Freestyle.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Look at the bottom of the core (where it fits in the bottom of the tank). You should see 4 small protuberances that project at the 11, 2, 5, and 7 O'clock position. Now look at the bottom of the tank and you should see two small protuberances that project at about the 9 and 3 O'clock position. That prevents the core from rotating more than about 15 degrees either way. Sure the reel will spin freely around the core but drum rotation reverses direction on the Jobo and the "paddles" even out the flow of the chemistry on the film. (Note that the paddles turn about 20 degrees to the left or right depending on the flow of the chemistry.)

Having sheets come out means you didn't load the film correctly.

Thomas

Charles S

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    Look at the bottom of the core (where it fits in the bottom of the tank). You should see 4 small protuberances that project at the 11, 2, 5, and 7 O'clock position. Now look at the bottom of the tank and you should see two small protuberances that project at about the 9 and 3 O'clock position. That prevents the core from rotating more than about 15 degrees either way. Sure the reel will spin freely around the core but drum rotation reverses direction on the Jobo and the "paddles" even out the flow of the chemistry on the film. (Note that the paddles turn about 20 degrees to the left or right depending on the flow of the chemistry.)
    My suspicion is that the even when the tank reverses, the spirals stay in the same position, or only move slightly given how little friction there seems to be between the spindle and the spiral.

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    Having sheets come out means you didn't load the film correctly.
    I meant one sheet developed correctly, the others didn't.