Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Problem with Pyrocat HD from PF

Re: Problem with Pyrocat HD from PF

I had the same problems, PF sent two replacement kits that I have not tried yet. I went back to B&S for a sure thing. Print material I'll take more chances on...negative processing, not so much.
    Last edited by Vaughn; 16-Aug-2019 at 11:34.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I also have had excellent results with prior purchases from Photographer’s Formulary, including my first Pyrocat HD kit. That is why this is a surprise and mystery. I just ordered raw chemicals and will mix my own going forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had an issue where they had got a bad batch of chemicals. I was getting pinholes all over my films. HP5 was really bad Acros not so. And it only app eared with minimal agitation and 1 hour development. I am gonna start mixing my own.

For me at this point the writing is very clearly on the wall, and I will go back to mixing my own from scratch. Apologies and "free" replacements will no longer prevail...I cannot and will not place any more negatives at risk!

I would only consider going back to a pre-mixed product if the supplier in question were to provide a full, accurate, and transparent accounting of exactly what went wrong, plus a full, accurate, and precise description of the steps they have taken to ensure that this will never happen again!

Sorry for the rant....but c'mon already!

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    I would only consider going back to a pre-mixed product if the supplier in question were to provide a full, accurate, and transparent accounting of exactly what went wrong, plus a full, accurate, and precise description of the steps they have taken to ensure that this will never happen again!
    +1

I support what John says and wish the supplier in question (PF) would at least address the problem. A post here would be nice, if able. But a notification on their own website would be better. And so far, I have seen none. No mention at all of the problem. And this thread appears to have drawn a lot of attention. Surely they must be aware that there is an issue afoot. Some sort of comment would be appropriate.

Personally I find it disappointing on several levels, not the least of which is that I hate it when a commercial concern which caters to our interest area has an issue, be it with quality control or something else entirely. I see this sort of thing as being quite damaging to customer confidence as well as overall business success. Ultimately it could lead to the loss of what has been a valuable resource.

+1 and +2 to the above.

Would it possibly be appropriate for a representative of the forum to send a detailed email to PF about the ongoing issues experienced by many on this forum, and ask for clarification? At this time, I have had no issues besides a chemical packet sent to me in the wrong amount back 6 years ago when I made my first order, but PF's Pyrocat (in Glycol) has been fine otherwise for my last 3 orders (one 1L kit and two 5L kits). I asked specifically for a fresh batch in my last order, which I am about 75% through.

I have negatives right now waiting to be developed in that Pyrocat and these threads are highly alarming. I personally have little interest in mixing my own if I can get quality kits on order from PF or someone else (let's not forget that B&S was not immune to problems either recently).
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Anyone experiencing problems with PF PMK?

Last two HD orders from PF were fine for me, so touch wood...

Today I processed 6-4x5" sheets and 2-120 rolls in Pyrocat-HD from PF with no issues.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Been mixing my own from scratch from day one. Can't see buying water. The chemicals are cheap enough and I've never had a problem ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    The chemicals are cheap enough and I've never had a problem ever.
    True Jim, assuming availability is not a problem.....but unfortunately, for many users outside the US, getting the raw chemicals IS a problem.....and PF may be the only way to get hold of dry Pyrocat HD.

Mike