Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Epson scanner automatic settings

Epson scanner automatic settings

I switched to a new computer recently (ryzen 7 based pc) and have had trouble with Epson scanning software automatically messing with my exposure/curves/etc.. anytime I did a prescan, changed the selection, or did much of anything. Anyways, I have wasted much time with Epson's awful interface. When it works right, I am pleased with it's scanning though.

Tonight I figured out how to make the software not mess with my adjustments..... Configuration, Color tab, uncheck continuous autoexposure. This is how the previous computer worked... This makes me very happy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	epsonscan.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	194326

Re: Epson scanner automatic settings

I check No COlor Correction two tabs below where you checked. I'll set white and black points though. But that's it. Everything else in post processing.

You should choose gamma 2.2 (though it doesn't really matter if your working in 16bit and correcting your image in an image editing programme). Or you can choose the no color correction option, and get the same thing :-)

I would really like to see some discussion of this. I've seen many "how to scan" videos. Most don't even mention the configuration page. Of the ones that do, I've seen recommendations for each of the possible options, color control, ICM (change to adobe rgb), and no color corrections. So which is it?

For no color correction I was unable to adjust white/black points. Gamma doesn't matter much since I adjust the curves and white/black points in PS anyways. AdobeRGB was not an option in the ICM settings... Just monitorRGB and SRGB. I don't think color management is important at this software in how we use scanning as our colors are more subjective if we are using film, or none at all for B&W. It's definitely good for printing.

I like to set the limits for each color separately since I used pyro stained negatives which shift the blue and slightly. If I neutralize the color cast at the time of scanning I feel like I'm better off compared to desaturating it once scanned but I can't prove the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by mitrajoon View Post
    So which is it?
    It is a pigs breakfast! A good example of ancient software, but what are the alternatives...

The first option allows you adjust white and black points, essential for 8bit scanning (obsolete) but otherwise can be done later. It allows you adjust the gamma which in 2019 should always be 2.2, the one exception being if you are using as input into a programme that wants the input in a particular gamma of 1 for some reason e.g. colorperfect.

The second option is an attempt to match the colorspace of the scanner to a modern display screen. i.e. the sRGB standard however the way this works in epson program is essentially obsolete.

The third takes values directly of the CCD and applies the sRGB gamma (it does on windows) but leaves all the colours in the scanners original colorspace. I think there is some weirdness on a mac where it is save with wrong gamma... But I have not tested the later.

With the third option you can't set the white and black points or use a tone curve, which may be what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Baker View Post
    It is a pigs breakfast! A good example of ancient software, but what are the alternatives...

The first option allows you adjust white and black points, essential for 8bit scanning (obsolete) but otherwise can be done later. It allows you adjust the gamma which in 2019 should always be 2.2, the one exception being if you are using as input into a programme that wants the input in a particular gamma of 1 for some reason e.g. colorperfect.

The second option is an attempt to match the colorspace of the scanner to a modern display screen. i.e. the sRGB standard however the way this works in epson program is essentially obsolete.

The third takes values directly of the CCD and applies the sRGB gamma (it does on windows) but leaves all the colours in the scanners original colorspace. I think there is some weirdness on a mac where it is save with wrong gamma... But I have not tested the later.

With the third option you can't set the white and black points or use a tone curve, which may be what you want.
    I think you can set the black and white points if you check Color Control in COnfiguration but don;t check Continuous Auto Exposure under it. I've been told you get more data doing that then letting Epson set it. But I don;t know for sure. Anyone else know?

Well two responses, two slightly different ideas. Not surprising and I suspect that I will need to run some tests myself. I really don't shoot that often but I'll dig up some old negs and see. Does scanning B&W vs Color make a difference on which setting to choose?

I appreciate your time and hope others will chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by mitrajoon View Post
    Well two responses, two slightly different ideas. Not surprising and I suspect that I will need to run some tests myself. I really don't shoot that often but I'll dig up some old negs and see. Does scanning B&W vs Color make a difference on which setting to choose?

I appreciate your time and hope others will chime in.
    If you selected Film (for scanning film or slides) as the Document Type, click the arrow in the Film Type list and
    select Positive Film for slides, Color Negative Film, or B&W Negative Film. Other than that, it's basically the same settings.

I use Vuescan. Simple, straight forward to make linear raw scans and save as tiff files. Not a fan of Epson software.