Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Kodak Formulas

New Kodak Formulas

As of last week, B&H shows old discontinued versions of several developers as well as new versions of the same developers. At minimum, this is the case for Xtol, D-76, and HC-110. Does anyone know anything about this change? Do the new versions work the same way?

Re: New Kodak Formulas

Recently Tetenal was out of commission for a while, so Kodak may have shifted to a new supplier.

By all means run a test if you're concerned, but I wouldn't worry about the formulas changing in any material way. There's nothing especially exotic about the Xtol, D-76 or HC-110 formula that should pose any difficulty for a new supplier.

I noticed that as well. New catalog numbers, not much information other than B&H. I bought some Dektol from Unique for 5 dollars less than B&H, free shipping etc. I think Freestyle has some "short date" Dektol for cheap as well. Could be clearing out inventory. If you can believe the pictures on B&H products are being made in USA. I panicked and bought a bunch of Tetenal made XTOL and Kodak rapid fix when Tetenal was in trouble. Tetenal's quality is better than "old Kodak" in terms of XTOL, no brown insoluble granules to contend with.
    Like Oren has stated, best to check out any supplier changes. Hopefully no hiccups, I've got enough XTOL for the next 5 years

The answer is simple: ILFORD.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Harman Technology / Ilford Photo outsources its processing chemical production too. They are not immune to supplier disruption.

Even if Ilford wasn't subject to supplier changes, switching to Ilford would still require process changes and testing.

Quote Originally Posted by gcoates View Post
    Does anyone know anything about this change?
    Changing those developers (Xtol, D-76, HC-110) would be a sacrilege , but always read datasheet, if you don't see a change in the recommended times in the datasheets then there is nothing to worry about.

The Ilford was somewhat 'toungue in cheek'. If what you have works and you are happy, why change? I got on Ilford some years back with their film and the recommendations of other LF darkroom users - a number of them who had been bit by Kodak cutbacks. Then my Uncle introduced me to Sandy King's Pyrocat HD and it has been the film developer of choice since first trying it. Paper developer? Either Dektol for enlarging or Michael A. Smith version of Amidol developer if contact printing.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

The newly-numbered HC-110 and T-Max developers are designated "New Formula, Same Results", while the other products have no such designation.

https://imaging.kodakalaris.com/phot...chem-tech-info

Apparently the MSDS has changed for HC-110.

I've downloaded and compared the new data sheets for HC-110 and T-Max developers with prior versions. On a quick pass through them, I see no differences in recommended processing times for either sheet film or roll film.

Thanks to the participants in this Photrio thread for the heads-up:

https://www.photrio.com/forum/thread...ormula.169322/

This is not the first time Kodak formulas have changed. I have a memory from 20+ years ago of an article in either Modern Photographyor Popular Photography with a photo showing the then "new" version of HC-110 concentrate was a different color than before. I cannot remember if that formulation change affected the developing times.

Keith