Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: C-41 Development - First time

Re: C-41 Development - First time

Beautiful job. Nothing to it. One tip, if you want to warm chemistry up quick, microwave oven works well. Use very short times 10 seconds and don't melt plastic bottles. I use this to bring chemistry from 20°C up to 35 ,then let the water bath finish the job. I've been doing this for decades no problem with any process.
    Really a nice photo.

Quote Originally Posted by Duolab123 View Post
    Beautiful job. Nothing to it. One tip, if you want to warm chemistry up quick, microwave oven works well. Use very short times 10 seconds and don't melt plastic bottles. I use this to bring chemistry from 20°C up to 35 ,then let the water bath finish the job. I've been doing this for decades no problem with any process.
    Really a nice photo.
    Thank you.

Also one question...

One negative has a black spot. With B&W I could fixate it again and it would be okay.
    But how bout C41? Can I fix it again? Must it be the same temperature?
    Tank preheated?

You can re-bleach and re-fix C41 no problem. You can even do it at room temperature, but it takes a lot longer. Times, as long as they are long enough, are not critical as bleach and fix are both to completion and therefore not time critical.

The real question is: where does that spot come from, and what kind of spot is it exactly?

Your photo is beautiful. Besides spotting, what post processing did you do to get to the final image?

Quote Originally Posted by mitrajoon View Post
    Your photo is beautiful. Besides spotting, what post processing did you do to get to the final image?
    Thanks. I do not really understand your question?

Quote Originally Posted by koraks View Post
    You can re-bleach and re-fix C41 no problem. You can even do it at room temperature, but it takes a lot longer. Times, as long as they are long enough, are not critical as bleach and fix are both to completion and therefore not time critical.

The real question is: where does that spot come from, and what kind of spot is it exactly?
    Well, I do not really know. It looks like a problem I came across before with black and white, because the chemical did not cover a certain place of the photo.
    and then refixed and it went away. It is not a problem that I get a lot. Mostly in the beginning. But now it's here again, just with one photograph of the 8 I have developed.

So, best to warm the chems again to 38° and do that part of the process again.

If the spot is there for any other reason, I would not know which reason.

Sorry I wasn't clear. My images never come straight out of the scanner that clean and nice. My assumption is that after you scanned the negative you imported it in to a program like LR or PS, did spot removal, did some dodging and burning and then perhaps applied some other corrections like curves, saturation, and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by mitrajoon View Post
    Sorry I wasn't clear. My images never come straight out of the scanner that clean and nice. My assumption is that after you scanned the negative you imported it in to a program like LR or PS, did spot removal, did some dodging and burning and then perhaps applied some other corrections like curves, saturation, and so on.
    It all depends on the image. I try to do as minimal on post-processing and retouching as I can.
    If there are dust particles that really bother me I will get rid of them.
    My scanning process is with the Epson V800 and I use it's IR option to get most of that dust off my image.
    It saves work.

About color and so on: I almost do nothing to color.
    I do somehow work on contrast, highlights, shadows, etc.... But I try to keep it on the low.

Also this came out like this:

Madeleine-mislukt by Smith De Westelinck, on Flickr

do not if this is due to the shot, or the development.

Looks like a massive light leak in the holder or the development tank.