Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video of Ansel Adams' Story of Visualization Breakthrough

Video of Ansel Adams' Story of Visualization Breakthrough

Featuring himself.

https://youtu.be/kxLCCZH6LOs
    Tin Can

Re: Video of Ansel Adams' Story of Visualization Breakthrough

I wonder why he had the red filter with him if he didn't ever know about using it until he was up there with his epiphany.

Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    I wonder why he had the red filter with him if he didn't ever know about using it until he was up there with his epiphany.
    Not exactly what AA was talking about, LOL. He knew the properties of the red filter, obviously, since he decided to switch from yellow to red...knowledge and practice fueled his epiphany.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Not exactly what AA was talking about, LOL. He knew the properties of the red filter, obviously, since he decided to switch from yellow to red...knowledge and practice fueled his epiphany.
    It just seems a bit precious to claim an epiphany if you already know about it and have done it. Maybe more of a development than a moment of sudden revelation.
    But I am just being cynical.

The epiphany was not about filters, their effects and results, but about the possibility of visualizing how filters and all the other factors (SBR, exposure, development, papers, toners, etc) will come together to determine what the final print will look like. The filter merely provided the spark for the epiphany.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Epiphany favors the prepared mind...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

I'm curious. Seeing something in your mind's eye and then being able to create that view in your photo, doesn;t make the final picture artistic. What you visualize in your eye has to be artistic to begin with. THoughts on this.

I recently re-read my copy of Mary Alinder's AA biography 23 years after the first time through it. Most glaring in that video is how Michael Adams refers to his father as "Ansel" rather than "Dad." Ansel, in my opinion, was an SOB to his family. Michael was warned by his mother never to trust Ansel, who led his life mostly separate from Virginia and the children, repeatedly toying with the idea of leaving them for other women. When Ansel was on his deathbed, Michael, having been warned that the end was near, chose to be at home rather than in the hospital.

With a little background information, some things can be "visualized" even more clearly than a photographic print.

There are two aspects to producing a good photo. First, you have to be able to accomplish what you want. Second, what you want has to be good in some way.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

First, Ability to accomplish is the technical aspects of image creation. Second, has to be good, is not a requirement. The image needs to have the ability to communicate in some way which can be "good" or "bad" or any other aspect of sharing the human condition.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    There are two aspects to producing a good photo. First, you have to be able to accomplish what you want. Second, what you want has to be good in some way.