Thread: In the Footsteps of Atget

Photographer

Re: In the Footsteps of Atget

As they say on Facebook, “Like.”
    Keith Pitman

👍 👍

In the Footsteps of Atget

Initially I planned on just sharing final images but I like the idea of a stream of conscious of sorts, sharing some behind the scenes mixed in with the work and my thoughts of where I was in the moment.

A beaten man... it was very, very hot. I also found myself on the verge of a nervous breakdown as a day in Versailles is a lot of walking with little shade and can be hard to come across water. My wife was 9 weeks pregnant at that point on the trip and it was stressing me out, simply regarding her health. She was a wonderful assistant and even checked a few compositions to see where I was thinking.

With about 12 emails (and the help of Google translate) I obtained permission to use a tripod on the grounds of Versailles. I was approached at nearly every shot location but I was prepared, I had the letter from the director of the palace laminated and ready to go. No issues, just curious eyes.

Here some French and German tourists were curious to see how a view camera worked, this was a common occurrence. It actually felt nice to be in a country where people viewed and approached me out of curiosity and admiration of the art versus the curiosity driven by “what’s the strange guy doing here” I get when I’m making picture at home. At least that’s my perception.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A wonderful thread, both the original concept, the old & new images, and your own commentary! Looking forward to more!

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Plainly the wrong printing process for reproducing Atget's work. However it does validate Atget's opinion about the silver gelatin process - at least as far as his images were concerned.

Atget's dome-topped prints are generally attributed to his lens but dome-topped prints appear to be common during the 19th century. I think it was more stylistic than general supposed.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    Plainly the wrong printing process for reproducing Atget's work. However it does validate Atget's opinion about the silver gelatin process - at least as far as his images were concerned.

Atget's dome-topped prints are generally attributed to his lens but dome-topped prints appear to be common during the 19th century. I think it was more stylistic than general supposed.

Thomas
    The printing process in addition to exact framing wasn’t the primary aim of the project.

Fun project!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Tim Sandstrom

keep it up, it's great to see the locales in modern times, I recognized some places in the latin quarter, but only had a rollei

Nice thread. Have you checked out Geoffrey James' book on Paris?

Also if you go back, and haven't been yet – the Carnavalet Museum has an amazing collection of Atget and Marville photos as well as more recent people who have made before and after works, you have to make an appointment but def worth a look.

I was also traveling in Europe with a bird box and holders in my pack during that heatwave last month – brutal...