Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: In the Footsteps of Atget

Re: In the Footsteps of Atget

My wife... the perfect assistant, looking over a composition of one do the Atget frames. Our day at Versailles was overshadowed by impressive heat, 97 degrees made it very difficult to work with a clean mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is fantastic! One of the best threads I've seen on here. Really, really great work and thank you for sharing it with us. I love having the BTS mixed in as well.

"I believe there is nothing more disturbing than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept!" (Ansel Adams)

https://philippe.grunchec-photographe.over-blog.com/

I believe Atget used the whole plate format???

Anyways... years ago put together a book for our town's museum titled "Collinsville then and now". Used old images made by our town's photographer, Charles Harrington, from around 1890 to 1910. 99% of time he used a 5x7 camera to shoot his glass plates. I initially used a digital camera to capture today's images in color. Several times was able to borrow a 5x7 camera to take the present day images. The experience was totally lost using a FX digital camera to take the present day color images verses using a 5x7. Biggest difference was the relative "height" of the ground from where the initial shots were taken. We have Harrington's tripod in the museum, and his camera's height was a constant 5 feet plus a few inches. Shooting from the same spots where he took his photographs... well the present day ground level varied by several feet in some cases. Even the road level at times changed by a foot or two. Today's roads seem to be much lower that the same roads were around 1900, I postulate for water drainage purposes.
    He did shoot a few 8x10 glass plates using an ultra WA lens. Used my 8x10 with a 120mm WA Nikkor to try to duplicate his images, and the lens that he used had to be around 90-100mm... have no idea of what that ultra WA optic was.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I believe Atget used the whole plate format???

Anyways... years ago put together a book for our town's museum titled "Collinsville then and now". Used old images made by our town's photographer, Charles Harrington, from around 1890 to 1910. 99% of time he used a 5x7 camera to shoot his glass plates. I initially used a digital camera to capture today's images in color. Several times was able to borrow a 5x7 camera to take the present day images. The experience was totally lost using a FX digital camera to take the present day color images verses using a 5x7. Biggest difference was the relative "height" of the ground from where the initial shots were taken. We have Harrington's tripod in the museum, and his camera's height was a constant 5 feet plus a few inches. Shooting from the same spots where he took his photographs... well the present day ground level varied by several feet in some cases. Even the road level at times changed by a foot or two. Today's roads seem to be much lower that the same roads were around 1900, I postulate for water drainage purposes.
    He did shoot a few 8x10 glass plates using an ultra WA lens. Used my 8x10 with a 120mm WA Nikkor to try to duplicate his images, and the lens that he used had to be around 90-100mm... have no idea of what that ultra WA optic was.
    Whole plate, 8x10... close enough

Atget used an 18x24cm camera, not a 20x25 (8x10").
    According to Berenice Abbott, he had a "trousse" containing convertible lenses.
    He printed on albumen POP paper, then gold toned, a process I tried to duplicate for my own series.

PS: please forgive my rusty English!
    Last edited by Philippe Grunchec; 19-Oct-2019 at 06:39.
    "I believe there is nothing more disturbing than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept!" (Ansel Adams)

https://philippe.grunchec-photographe.over-blog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Philippe Grunchec View Post
    Atget used an 18x24cm camera, not a 20x25 (8x10").
    According to Berenice about, he had a "trousse" containing convertible lenses.
    He printed on albumen POP paper, then gold toned, a process I tried to duplicate for my own series.

PS: please forgive my rusty English!
    Those details really didn’t concern me. The work is conversation with Atget, not an exercise in recreating and mimicking every detail

Quote Originally Posted by dodphotography View Post
    Whole plate, 8x10... close enough
    damn close...

Following the steps of a master in that way it is a great opportunity to understand his work and his mind, and anyway it's a nice tribute to such an artist.