Thread: Schneider 90mm Angulon on MPP mk VIII

Schneider 90mm Angulon on MPP mk VIII

Hi all!

I'm searching opinions about the use of a Schneider Angulon 90mm f6.8 mounted on a MPP mk VIII. I'm worried about the range of movements for an architectural work...

Any experience?

Thanks!

Huub

Re: Schneider Angulon on MPP mk VIII

I don't know how much movemnets the MPP allows, but the 90mm Angulon has an image circle of 152 mm, barely covering 4x5, allowing no movements. For architectural work you probably will be better helped wtih another 90mm with way more image circle.

Re: Schneider Angulon on MPP mk VIII

Pretty narrow circle, it's true...

Quote Originally Posted by Huub View Post
    I don't know how much
    movemnets the MPP allows, but the 90mm Angulon has an image circle of 152 mm, barely covering 4x5, allowing no movements. For architectural work you probably will be better helped wtih another 90mm with way more image circle.

Re: Schneider 90mm Angulon on MPP mk VIII

You might be better served by using a roll film back, like 6x9, with that lens. At least you will have more movements available...

You are not going to get a lot of front movements on an MPP with that short a focal length. And getting your fingers in to manipulate the front standard is fiddly. If you can live with back movements only, then it might work. But a lack of front rise and shift could be limiting. You have to work with the break in the rails when using shorter lenses, which makes things extra interesting.

http://grahamp.dotinthelandscape.org/mpp.html shows how I put a Super Angulon f8 on my MPP VII - the rear element of that lens will not pass through the front panel opening. But I don't do much architectural stuff.

Years ago I did some architectural interiors with the 90mm f/6.8 Angulon stopped down to f22. This allowed for a little movement on my limited Technika III 4x5. The color negatives were sharp and could reproduce well. I was using Tungsten lighting and a sturdy tripod with long exposures. The client was my wife who was an interior designer back in the 1970's.

Isn't the MPP VIII a copy of the Linhof Technika model three from the 1940's thru the mid 1950's?

Definitely, I'll try other options. Thanks!