Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: KORONA 11x14 " ULF / Alan Brubaker refurbished

Re: KORONA 11x14 " ULF / Alan Brubaker refurbished

I seem to remember this camera from a long time ago, either Ebay or perhaps the LF Classifieds here. Thought it was neat how AB had taken some bar stock (effectively) and made a new machined track for the focus. It caught my imagination then because I had some Teflon bar stock kicking around, but, alas, not a milling machine.
    Neat camera to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by William Whitaker View Post
    I seem to remember this camera from a long time ago, either Ebay or perhaps the LF Classifieds here.
    Yes, I owned it for a while, before the person who sold it to Farid.

Aha!

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Yes, I owned it for a while, before the person who sold it to Farid.
    wow so cool to meet in here then. Its great to find out this thing has a bit of history and was not just used by one person... of course 100 years have some impact

Quote Originally Posted by William Whitaker View Post
    Thought it was neat how AB had taken some bar stock (effectively) and made a new machined track for the focus. It caught my imagination then because I had some Teflon bar stock kicking around, but, alas, not a milling machine.
    Neat camera to be sure.
    The seller told me it got refurbished in the states, specially the bellow looks like new to me. also the rest forks fine. not to get too much friction on the teeth I will help it a bit to pull while extending it. i hope that will help a bit to keep in in that shape.

or is there a trick to keep the mechanism sliding better with any oils or similar ( i think best us is to keep it dry )

regards
    farid

If you want to shoot plates without the inconcenience of the chemicals, try shooting dry plates. Very similar look.
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nodda Duma View Post
    If you want to shoot plates without the inconcenience of the chemicals.
    sounds boring

I definitely want to get wet

Hehe nothing's boring about any of this stuff.

Have fun!

-Jason
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

Farid,

I'll have a bit of a different take on the size of a wetplate. I don't find large plate particularly more difficult than small plates. I shoot plates from 4x5 up to 11x14 on a very regular basis.

The best reason to start small is to get everything worked out chemically and logistically.

1) You need to get to the point where your silver bath, collodion recipe and developer recipe are making clean plates. Record everything you do carefully. There will be lots of tweeking.
    2) You can put small plates into a big tank, but not visa versa (obviously). If you are committed, buy a tank that you can use for your 11x14 plates. The silver will be expensive, but if cared for, lasts for a very long time. Your tank will last for a long time, don't skimp. Get a good one from a reputable supplier. Leaky tanks suck and are expensive in loss of silver and dangerous.
    3) Find someone who is willing to let you watch them make plates and ask questions. Pay them. It will be pay for itself in unwasted supplies.
    4) Take a workshop. Firsthand knowledge and the ability to ask questions goes a long way. I teach people hot to make wetplates and keep in touch with all my students.
    5) Pouring collodion and developer take practice, but get easier with every pour. Use drinkable yogurt, practice on clean glass. You can still eat the yogurt!
    6) Be safe. Good ventilation is critical. Both for storage (never store collodion in the fridge or a tightly closed cabinet, ether fumes are explosive and need to be ventilated).
    7) Making your own solutions from powdered chemistry should be done with protection (eyes, mouth, hands). Buy ready made solutions if you are not prepared to be working as a chemist should.
    8) Ask questions here. The resources of this forum are extensive, and people here are so kind and helpful.

Good Luck and welcome to the ULF wetplate community!

Basil

Foamer

I started in August. My first 40 plates were a learning experience and I'm just now getting consistent decent results. I started with 4x5 and now added 5x7. Looking at 8x10. It would have been very expensive to have started with something large and would have frustrated me. It's not like shooting film. Exposure and development are a guess and it takes many attempts to start getting results.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!