Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: KORONA 11x14 " ULF / Alan Brubaker refurbished

KORONA 11x14 " ULF / Alan Brubaker refurbished

Since yesterday I am a proud owner of a KORONA 11x14 " ULF / Alan Brubaker Kamera in perfect condition .

As a newbie in the large format i need to get all the theory and practical use on my hands before starting anything i guess...

Is there anyone using wet plates in such a big size camera? any advise not to ruin the whole outfit with the chemicals in practical use?

thanks for your inputs

farid

Re: KORONA 11x14 " ULF / Alan Brubaker refurbished

I have to say up front that I have never worked with collodion (but not for lack of desire).
    Disclosures aside, my take on jumping into anything new is to take a conservative approach and try it first on a smaller and more economical scale. IOW, perhaps you should start with 4x5 to become familiar with the process and the rote procedures before tackling something the scale and expense of 11x14.

I'm kind of assuming that since you say you are new to LF, that you've never shot collodion before. Although I have never used collodion I would imagine that it would be a lot easier to learn to coat a 4x5 plate rather than just jumping into 11x14. And becoming familiar with the full process in the smaller format first has surely got to help you avoid errors in the larger format which could lead to damaging equipment, not to mention the cost outright.

I think when one can master the process in the smaller format enough to attain a reasonable batting average, then one can move confidently forward to doing the same in 11xx14.

That's just my 2¢ worth, most likely devalued by now. Good luck!

I shoot 11x14 plates using a Chamonix holder. Silver nitrate can get everywhere. Wiping the back of the plates before putting them in the holder is key. Also not handling the camera with the wet gloves used to load the plate into the holder will greatly reduce the risks. If you haven't already shot plates before, starting by shooting small plates is advised. The bigger the plates the messier it gets and the knowledge gained from making smaller plates will keep your process clean when dealing with the larger plates.

Quote Originally Posted by William Whitaker View Post
    becoming familiar with the full process in the smaller format first has surely got to help you avoid errors in the larger format which could lead to damaging equipment, not to mention the cost outright.

I think when one can master the process in the smaller format enough to attain a reasonable batting average
    Thanks for your advise William!

For the moment i will get 50 Film sheets for free to start with. but for sure i guess. i will get maybe a lomo cam and test the chemicals on aluminium plates in small format. might be fun and the cam is cheap. just as an idea. but i guess i will end up on a 5x7" what ever the smaller sizes will be or so for the wet start into getting bigger.

I will also need to search for a wet plate frame...maybe built new i guess...

Quote Originally Posted by cuypers1807 View Post
    Silver nitrate can get everywhere. Wiping the back of the plates before putting them in the holder is key.
    I can imagine the mess that can be created

For the moment i will get 50 Film sheets for free to start with. but for sure i guess. i will get maybe a lomo cam and test the chemicals on aluminium plates in small format. might be fun and the cam is cheap. just as an idea. but i guess i will end up on a 5x7" what ever the smaller sizes will be or so for the wet start into getting bigger.

I will also need to search for a wet plate frame...maybe built new i guess...

thanks for your help guys

Foamer

I just bought a 5x7 plate holder from Chamonix. I really like it. As for collodion I'm starting with 4x5. I won't even consider moving to 5x7 until I get that down.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Hi Kent,
    I see... i will stick to film for the moment but keep in mind to get a small format one for the chemistry start

smiles

I will try to modificate a LOMO cam with small glass to get the chemical things working

KORONA 11x14 " ULF / Alan Brubaker refurbished

Suggest sticking to film for the moment and learning to use the camera controls. I love bringing out my 1895 era 11x14. With some simple modifications and new bellows it ends up being one of my favorite cameras. Vignetting (Lens and bellows in the way) and bellows exposure factors were the big learnings for me when compared to 8x10 and 4x5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where are you located? Maybe you are close to a member with ULF experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk