Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Packard shutter bulb replace???

Packard shutter bulb replace???

Hi,

I'm finishing mounting a Packard dual bulb shutter, but I have only 1 air bulb assy, but need 2...

I am starting a search for the parts, such as the air hose and bulb... I'm going to the auto store to see if they have non-re-enforced vacuum hose in black for the airline, but I have to locate a bulb... I checked the drugstore for a baby aspirator, but the new style has a large fitting diameter, or maybe a replacement air bulb from a blood pressure monitor, but no dice... l know other devices use a bulb, but my brain does not remember what... I can't even think of a search term to look online...

So, has anyone made an assembly recently and what did you use??? I'm sure the Packard guy sells the assy, but probably for much more than DIY...

Thanks in advance,

Steve K

Re: Packard shutter bulb replace???

Yes, spendy Packard wants $16.50 for one

Steve, could you give some dimensions?

I'm guessing 4mm at the detent (1/8")
    Bulb diameter 2"

And it requires a hole on each end?
    Last edited by Jac@stafford.net; 5-Aug-2019 at 21:18.

Thanks!!! My hose is 1/4" ID, and 5/16" OD, and I like about 6' long... So the bulb should have a 1/4" male barb fitting (or I could get a nylon adapter (plumbing or auto) that will fit in the bulb somehow), and a open end is nice... Hose should be limp & black and tend not to crush or kink...

I'll probably order one, but I like to be able to build some for custom applications as needed...

Still looking at options, and thanks for the lead...

Happy Summer daze,

Steve K

Some kind of lens cleaning blower with a bulb?

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    My hose is 1/4" ID, and 5/16" OD, and I like about 6' long.
    Just a thought: 1/4" ID might be too big, of too much volume to be efficient. The air in the tube has to be considered in the total volume to be compressed by the bulb's content which is not very much.
    Last edited by Jac@stafford.net; 6-Aug-2019 at 07:56.

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    Hi,
    I am starting a search for the parts, such as the air hose and bulb... I'm going to the auto store to see if they have non-re-enforced vacuum hose in black for the airline, but I have to locate a bulb... I checked the drugstore for a baby aspirator, but the new style has a large fitting diameter, or maybe a replacement air bulb from a blood pressure monitor, but no dice... l know other devices use a bulb, but my brain does not remember what... I can't even think of a search term to look online...

So, has anyone made an assembly recently and what did you use??? I'm sure the Packard guy sells the assy, but probably for much more than DIY...

Thanks in advance,

Steve K
    You're probably going to spend just as much doing a DIY , Packards $16.50 sounds a little high for just the bulb
    but it's worth it in my opinion just to keep them going.

in regards to hose, windshield washer hose should be what you're looking for, you can try getting plastic barbed hose fittings
    that would fit the bulbs be they baby aspirators or BP monitor bulbs.
    I used the BP monitor bulbs but since I have a lathe I machined my fittings.

Best one stop shopping source for hose and barb fittings would McMaster-Carr

Jim

Proper BP valves do not work well unless you poke out the one way valve at the thumb end. I have used rubber bulbs from Harbour Freight but the rubber degenerated in a few years, whereas the Packard bulbs seem to last decades if not generations.

Les

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Just a thought: 1/4" ID might be too big, of too much volume to be efficient. The air in the tube has to be considered in the total volume to be compressed by the bulb's content which is not very much.
    I have an old hose/bulb assy that works fine with that size tubing... Just need another + maybe spares...

I'm going to check some medical supply places and bring the bulb with me... Those new bulbs mentioned online would probably work fine, but the bulbs with the open ends will allow the shutter to remain open if bulb is squeezed, then air pressure is released...

Still looking for options/solutions, but thanks guys, really helpful!!!

Steve K

When i got my first Packard shutter a few years ago this bothered me greatly as well. After watching this thread, I think we are overthinking it. Who says you need a bulb at all?
    --- Steve from Missouri ---