Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: spooky and other slot canyons

Re: spooky and other slot canyons

I was in Antelope Canyon with a 4x5 in 1985. Wish I knew then what I know now..I would not have compressed the tonal range of those negatives! It was an odd transition from photographing in the redwoods to the desert around Page where the LF workshop was being given (by Bruce B.).

It would be fun to work in that sort of place again, but so little time, so many redwoods, and so much light.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Drew Wiley

Try working with color chrome film in an 8x10. I find most slot imagery to have become just too commonplace a cliche to my eye; but I have done it. And even if some of us don't particularly admire the marketing methods of Fatali, he did a LOT of it exclusively with 8x10 and chrome film. But Vaughn, so many redwoods? The tallest ones on earth were once right atop the hill behind me; now there's not even a stump left. Where is your Bigfoot species going to hide in the mere 2% of old growth redwood still extant?
    Presumably in plain sight, just like the Bigfoot individuals the History Channel claims reside in Lundy Canyon, and around June and Mono Lakes. Nobody ever sees them because in daytime, they hang out in the June Lake ski resort bar!

The West is a big place. There are many interesting formations and landscapes. I know a couple hidden places in Arches I'll shoot if I ever go back there.

Well Drew, there are more redwoods than I will live to see up close and personal, there are whole watersheds I will never set foot in. I am happy at this point to visit many old friends...sometimes individual trees, sometimes small pocket groves of giants.

But there will be less going forward, I'm afraid. I only have about 50 years experience up here...and the stories of those who grew up here. In those 50 years I have seen a slow decrease in summer fog, which is tough on the redwoods. Yearly rainfall is one thing, but fog-drip is important summer water. But some of these trees are genetically many thousands of years old...they probably have seen worse. Their main enemy is still man. Unless we are willing to spend a couple billion to tunnel thru a mountain, we'll lose some eventually to a Hwy 101 bypass south of Crescent City where 101 is about to topple into the ocean far below. So it goes.

The light in those narrow canyons would be interesting to work with in carbon printing. But as gomules said, the West is a big place and the light is wonderful.

Many Pools Canyon, Zion NP; 8x10 carbon print (Zone VI 8x10, Fuji W 250/6.7, Kodak Copy Film)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ManyPools.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Eric Woodbury

Drew Wiley

More of that Peter Lik print sale nonsense on that link that nobody has ever verified except his own website. First it was a million bucks, now it's six and a half million? At least tall tales are still alive and well in the West.