Thread: Yellowstone in Winter

Yellowstone in Winter

Hey all,

any ideas on who to contact about getting to the winter lodge at old faithful and then getting around to the Yellowstone Grand Canyon and other sites in Yellowstone in snow?

thanks

Foamer

Re: Yellowstone in Winter

Since the stupid restriction on snowmobiles it's very expensive and difficult to get around in winter. As for Old Faithful Lodge, last I checked it's closed in winter. There is a smaller one (Snow Lodge?) that is open.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

hi kent, sorry yes the snow lodge, its next to the old faithful lodge but how to get there and back and then get around the area to shoot... anyone know of maybe a LF workshop, most of the workshops I've seen are for digital...

Drew Wiley

Remember to bring along a red dark cloth if you want good closeup shots of bison bulls! Otherwise, I thought the little town just outside the park is where winter tours were mainly organized. There still seem to be a lot of web listings for this kind of service.

Foamer

They run taxis back and forth from the road to the lodge--that's not the problem. The problem is once you are in you have to find transportation. Your choices come down to: 1. X-country ski 2. go with a tour group which is 90% retired people with cell phone cameras 3. pay a serious amount of money to go with a licensed guide.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Wife and I did a photographic trip with 2 other retired folks to Yellowstone in the winter. It was absolutely amazing. We were toting digitals with 600mm lenses but I also had a 4x5 Travelwide. We actually started in Jackson and made the run up the valley to the Teton photographic sites. Then around to West Yellowstone where we had a snowcat reserved for 4 days to take us into the park. We traveled as far as the Canyon to the east, almost to Old Faithful to the south and down to Fishing Bridge to the southeast. Then we circled up to Gardiner where the road from Mammoth to Cooke City is kept open in the winter. There was something like 4 and a half feet of snow that winter but we did get into 2 of the Geyser Basins.

@chauncey sounds great!