Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 8x10 Film Choice Paralysis

Re: 8x10 Film Choice Paralysis

I've used maybe 40 sheets of Ektascan. For some reason I get way more emulsion flaws with it than with other film. Maybe my batch was more prone to this than others. If I were printing optically, this would be a real problem. The other regular films I've processed over the same time, mainly FP4+, have been fine.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Thanks everyone to the earnest responses to what was really a fun writing exercise. Ya'll did actually convince me to switch from FP4+ or Delta to HP5+, because in 8x10 why the heck not? I also got a box of Provia since scanning is largely my work flow.

Can't wait to try it all out!

Doesn't't Adox also make 8x10 CHS100 film?? I've used the original version before it disappeared and it was very nice. I do develop in Pyro and the latest version is not recommended by them with this developer.
    Overall it's got to be either Foma 100 or FP4. The latter holds it's speed extremely well. I just set the ASA for 100 and have never had a problem.
    The foma I'm learning to use in 8x10 and the speed is more like a good 50 ASA
    I've used it in 4x5 with little to no problem and really like the tonality...just be a little more careful with processing

Yeah Peter they make it in 8x10. I have a box that I’m trying to find time to dig in to.
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

Drew Wiley

The rated speeds of both FP4 and Fomapan are overly optimistic. Add a deep contrast filter and you end up with some long exposures at the smaller f-stops typical of 8X10. HP5, on the other hand, and especially TMY, work for me at full 400 speed, and are more practical in this format, at least outdoors.

The Adox data sheet is confusing, but clearly states that the problem with pyro developers and CHS100II is only with roll film. This is due to an extra anti-halation layer between emulsion and base, which the sheet film does not have. I've long wanted to give it a go but it's harder to get here in New Zealand and a lot more expensive – I envy prices for it in Europe, but it's also the shipping that kills it for me!

I've shot a ton of HP5+ in 8x10" processed only in PMK or Pyrocat-HD and love it, but am now using Bergger Pancro 400 and am really liking the tones. You've got to shoot a good 100 sheets real world to get to know a film and developer combination though, IMHO of course. I like Pancro a lot because it has a very interesting character to my eye; is maybe something to do with the grain structure (negligible in 8x10" sizes, especially with contact printing,) and also the response to different colours across the curve. I expose at EI250 and the shadow details is where I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by peter schrager View Post
    Doesn't't Adox also make 8x10 CHS100 film?? I've used the original version before it disappeared and it was very nice. I do develop in Pyro and the latest version is not recommended by them with this developer.
    Overall it's got to be either Foma 100 or FP4. The latter holds it's speed extremely well. I just set the ASA for 100 and have never had a problem.
    I've used it in 4x5 with little to no problem and really like the tonality...just be a little more careful with processing

Charles S

Quote Originally Posted by peter schrager View Post
    Foma 100 in Microphen can be shot at box speed in my experience. Cheapest way to shoot 8x10 where I live