Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Learning about environmental portraiture - which photographers should I study?

Re: Learning about environmental portraiture - which photographers should I study?

It's a long list, isn't it? Plenty of inspiration, and radically different styles, to be found. Ullophot, best of luck... and share your results when you have some?

Re: Learning about environmental portraiture - which photographers should I study?

I will share results when I have something worth sharing. It's very much of a struggle on multiple levels right now. Lots to learn.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Collin Orthner

I have a few books done by Lawrence Chrismas (careful on the spelling) that have some excellent work done with mostly 8x10, but some medium format as well - portraits of Canadian miners. Well worth looking into. "Coaldust Grins", "Alberta Miners", and if you can get your hands on a copy of a catalog published by the Edmonton Art Gallery in 1983 "Canadian Coal Miners: Photographs by Lawrence Chrismas" isbn 088950038X, do it! Fabulous photography and beautifully printed.

Judith Joy Ross. Aperture has a new book of her work--my copy arrived today. Gorgeous.
    Bill Poole

"Speak softly, but carry a big camera."

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Poole View Post
    Judith Joy Ross. Aperture has a new book of her work--my copy arrived today. Gorgeous.
    The New Yorker published an article about her two weeks ago: Photo Booth: An Undersung Master Portrait Photographer

In those sorts of environments, maybe better to start shooting without research, evolve, and look later at other's work...

I'd take a personal journey first...

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by 826257 View Post
    three key people to my early progression. Additionally, without one of them I wouldn't have the technical skills that have served me.

Opie: https://www.guggenheim.org/artwork/a...catherine-opie
    Sultan: http://www.larrysultan.com/work/
    Soth: https://alecsoth.com/photography/
    I had read a little bio of Catherina Opie and examine her images in one of my Art class. My university was located in San Francisco and I was attending to earn my Bachelor of Fine Arts. Till covid I went online which saved me driving to San Francisco ever week.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    In those sorts of environments, maybe better to start shooting without research, evolve, and look later at other's work...

I'd take a personal journey first...

Steve K
    couldn't agree more!