Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Learning about environmental portraiture - which photographers should I study?

Re: Learning about environmental portraiture - which photographers should I study?

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I did, his photography is barely mentioned.
    When you played with the bands that he played with and on the TV shows he played with his main claim to fame was as a musician! But he and his son were very good photographers!

Re: Learning about environmental portraiture - which photographers should I study?

Quote Originally Posted by lab black View Post
    Environmental portraiture covers a broad spectrum however i certainly regard August Sander as one of the true masters of the genre.
    Couldn't agree more! What about Mary Ellen Mark, or Edouard Boubat? And some other great present day (both Dutch, I'm sorry) photographers: Anton Corbijn (B&W 35mm and MF), Rineke Dijkstra (4x5" colour). Not really 'environmental' of course are Mike Disfarmer and Richard Avedon, but if you can extract personality out of people like these photographers, you can do environmental portraits anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulophot View Post
    Thanks for any suggestions.
    You might try asking your subjects for a short list of their favorite locations within comfortable distance. For example gardeners may love their gardens, boaters their boats, etc.

People generally relax in their favorite places and photos made there will often feel more natural and have far greater meaning to the subject.
    Last edited by Ken Lee; 30-Jul-2019 at 22:27.

Robert Bowring

Irving Penn and Yousuf Karsh.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Bowring View Post
    And Al Gilbert, Michael Gilbert, Leon Kennamer, Hugh Gentry and dozens more. Most either had private gardens or permission to use private greenhouses (Al Gilbert for one). Although most worked in color they could just as easily done B&W. It wasn’t the medium, it was the technique and their rapport with their subjects!

Irving Penn???
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Bowring View Post

Imogen Cunningham

Thanks to all. I have lots to look up. Much appreciated.

Good suggestion, Ken. I do try to work with people where they are comfortable. Here in VA, the summer has beenmostly very hot and humid until well after sundown, which has contributed to my being temporarily limited to air-conditioned houses, wherein, many of my local friends having unusual circumstances and little money, the houses tend to be spartan with "Ikea furniture" hard to use for my intentions. I am focusing my thoughts on form and visual metaphor, both as inner eye retraining and exploration of possibilites I haven't necessarily used before. This is a continuing journey in new territory for me.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Thanks to all. I have lots to look up. Much appreciated.

Good suggestion, Ken. I do try to work with people where they are comfortable. Here in VA, the summer has beenmostly very hot and humid until well after sundown, which has contributed to my being temporarily limited to air-conditioned houses, wherein, many of my local friends having unusual circumstances and little money, the houses tend to be spartan with "Ikea furniture" hard to use for my intentions. I am focusing my thoughts on form and visual metaphor, both as inner eye retraining and exploration of possibilites I haven't necessarily used before. This is a continuing journey in new territory for me.
    There is environmental portraiture and then there are candids. Since there doesn’t seem to be a differential here then you can’t leave out the father of candid photography, Eric Salomon. Nor can you leave out Eisenstadt.

Okay, Vaughn, I'll keep that in mind.
    It also helps with the two-minute exposures!

Three Boys, Three Snags, 8x10 carbon print
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ThreeBoysThreeSnags.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China