Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Learning about environmental portraiture - which photographers should I study?

Learning about environmental portraiture - which photographers should I study?

I am looking for ideas in B&W so-called environmental portraiture and wonder who can suggest photographers whose work to study. I am well familiar with many of the greats of the past. My approach would be called conservative or traditional. I am trying to stick mostly to natural light, though I'm finding it difficult in the (bland, modern, spartan) interiors I have been working in so far. Visual metaphor, through light, form, and composition, that complements the subject in some way, is a matter occupying my thoughts these days. Thanks for any suggestions.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Re: Learning about environmental portraiture - which photographers should I study?

There's a recent book out called, I think, "Arnold Newman At Work". I borrowed a copy a few months ago and I found it fascinating, as I think you will. Also, David Plowden's "End of an Era". It's about the last steam-powered Great Lakes freighters, but his portraits of the sailors are quite good, to say the least. To take it back before our time, Paul Strand in New England and the Hebrides; even as far back as Hill & Adamson with their portraits of soldiers and fishermen.

Re: Learning about environmental portraiture - which photographers should I study?

Tin Can

If you can find it, Dean Collins had a nice video on environmental portraiture. He used artificial lights to augment natural light and got some really nice stuff.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

If keep them far away, you don't have to worry about them blinking...

Three Brothers, The Three Brothers, Yosemite Valley, Platinum/palladium print, 8x10
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3 Bros_Three Brothers.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

lab black

Environmental portraiture covers a broad spectrum however i certainly regard August Sander as one of the true masters of the genre.
    "We work in the dark, we do what we can, we give what we have."
    Henry James

Quote Originally Posted by Ulophot View Post
    I am looking for ideas in B&W so-called environmental portraiture and wonder who can suggest photographers whose work to study. I am well familiar with many of the greats of the past. My approach would be called conservative or traditional. I am trying to stick mostly to natural light, though I'm finding it difficult in the (bland, modern, spartan) interiors I have been working in so far. Visual metaphor, through light, form, and composition, that complements the subject in some way, is a matter occupying my thoughts these days. Thanks for any suggestions.
    An excellent, award winning, environmental photographer was Trigger Alpert in Darien, CT. I had the horrible fortune of having to try to compete with him in photography! Fortunately very few could compete with his other talent. Look him up!

Okay, Vaughn, I'll keep that in mind.
    Philip Ulanowsky

www.imagesinsilver.art

I did, his photography is barely mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    An excellent, award winning, environmental photographer was Trigger Alpert in Darien, CT. I had the horrible fortune of having to try to compete with him in photography! Fortunately very few could compete with his other talent. Look him up!
    Tin Can

Mark, I'm not familiar with Plowden's work. Some of it I have just looked up is intriguing. I'll also look up the Newan book. I know his work but can undoubtedly learn from his work-ing.
    Philip Ulanowsky

www.imagesinsilver.art