Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: 4x10 Point 'n Shoot Camera Build

Re: 4x10 Point 'n Shoot Camera Build

Thanks, Keith!

Yes, I just sold a 121 SA precisely because it was too big and bulky.

I will check out the Perigons, though. Not familiar with that tribe.

Should you be so lucky as to find a Berthiot Perigraphe Serie VIa 120mm f/14 it will cover 300mm open to 360mm stopped down and there is nothing smaller and lighter.

Thanks Chauncey!
    Last edited by Michael Roberts; 17-Oct-2019 at 11:08.

I added a leather ground glass protector.

After some reflection, I decided I didn't really need a view hood. I use one on my stripped down Crown Graphic (for which I have several lenses) to make sure I'm in focus before shooting using the wire viewer, but with this camera being fixed focus it's not really necessary to check focus on the GG. I will use the GG to compose with a tripod, but not for handheld shooting.

I put some tiny pieces of velcro on the underside of the wooden brackets that hold the screws that anchor the springs and matching pieces on the four corners of the leather. Easy.

This will provide some protection when carrying and handling the camera. Carrying by the handle, it's likely the gg will brush against clothing (belts, zipper pulls, etc.), and this cover will reduce scratches and marks on the acrylic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0042.jpg  

Chopped, drilled, and glued up another lens board extender box yesterday for the 240 G-Claron. I am expecting to add a 1/4 more depth to the front for a lens board frame, but first I will tape the current 240 lens board to this box and test the focus, then sneak up on the hyperfocal distance (I'm thinking 45') by layering 1/8 and/or 1/16 pieces, as needed, while checking focus on the ground glass.

I put the tear out side on front b/c it will be covered over with the lens board frame.

The front and rear panels are 1/8 birch plywood, with 3.5" holes drilled through. Rear is 4.25 square; front is 5.25 x 4.75. The sides are 2 9/16" sections of 1/4" balsa (total depth 2 13/16, which I backed into after discovering my older extender box was a wee bit long).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0044.jpg   IMG_0045.jpg   IMG_0047.jpg  
    Last edited by Michael Roberts; 23-Oct-2019 at 06:39.

"Should you be so lucky as to find a Berthiot Perigraphe Serie VIa 120mm f/14 it will cover 300mm open to 360mm stopped down and there is nothing smaller and lighter."

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Roberts View Post
    Thanks Chauncey!

I found one, it's on its way from Paris!

Supposedly, this lens will fit into the front of a #3 Ilex shutter, and I just happen to have one of these on hand, so I will test it out when the lens shows up. Based on the info below, and the seller's experience, there will likely be some vignetting from the shutter, but I only need a 270mm diameter to cover 4x10, so I am hoping I won't have to hack up the shutter.

Really helpful source: http://www.galerie-photo.com/berthio...igmats-en.html

Thanks Dan and Emmanuel!

Wonderful empirical science!
    Tin Can

Yes, or as I used to tell my students, one of the ways we learn is by making mistakes!

First trial with the taped on lensboard was a success--in focus at infinity (10 miles up to about 400').
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0048.jpg  

Very nice design. Have you posted images made with this camera yet?

Thanks Jon!

No, it will be a few more weeks before I develop them. I'm planning to start developing my color film at home. I've got all the chems and gear, just need to clear time to get started. I don't have a dedicated space for a darkroom, so it requires some setup time. My plan is to do batch development a few times a year, frequency depending on how much I'm shooting.

I will follow up with some images. It will take a while, though.