Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 4x10 Point 'n Shoot Camera Build

Re: 4x10 Point 'n Shoot Camera Build

Don't get crazy here!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Roberts View Post
    Yeah, I've been thinking two holders would not be too heavy to carry around--8 photos!
    Tin Can

Hah! I should have mentioned my point of reference is the "Four Mile" hike (10.5 mi round-trip) my wife and I did last month in Yosemite from the valley floor--3,200 ft elevation gain--up to Glacier Point and back down.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    If you are building it with the focus fixed at infinity how would you control total DOF? It runs, for the shots you want, ⅓ rd towards the camera from the point you focus on to ⅓ rd away from that point. Regardless of aperture. So by using fixed focus you lose half of your total possible DOF.
    I taught at RIT that depth of field exists with 2/3 of its range located behind the POF and 1/3 of its range in front of the POF especially for wide angle lenses, but then goes to around 50:50 for longer optics. The reasoning behind the change from 1/3 in front of POF and 2/3 behind POF to 1/2 in front of POF and 1/2 behind POF totally escapes me...

I have spent hours fooling with DOF on this site.

https://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

As focus can elude me I have tried various schemes suggested, which is usually a choice of 2.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I taught at RIT that depth of field exists with 2/3 of its range located behind the POF and 1/3 of its range in front of the POF especially for wide angle lenses, but then goes to around 50:50 for longer optics. The reasoning behind the change from 1/3 in front of POF and 2/3 behind POF to 1/2 in front of POF and 1/2 behind POF totally escapes me...
    You are right. ⅓ + ⅓ doesn’t equal 1!

50/50 is also for macro.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Those 1/3-2/3 and 1/2-1/2 are just rules of thumb, not exact. Consider for example a lens focused at its hyperfocal distance - the acceptable focus will extend from half the hyperfocal distance, to infinity, so the 1/3-2/3 rule doesn't apply.

It's easiest (maybe) to think about this in the image space (ahead of/behind the film plane), rather than the subject space. The cone of light forming an image at the film is symmetrical in front of and behind the image. So the depth of focus is equal in front of and behind. However, equal displacements in the image space only translate to equal offsets in focus distance when you are near 1:1. For non-macro distances let's work out an example. Say my circle of confusion is 0.12 mm, I'm using a 150mm lens at f/16, and I'm focused 5 meters away. That requires an extension of 154.6 mm. My depth of focus is 16*0.12mm = 1.92mm in front of and behind the film. So subjects that require an extension between (154.6-1.92) and (154.6+1.92) mm will be in acceptable focus. The corresponding subject distances are 8.55 meters and 3.6 meters. So I have about 1.4 meters depth of field in front of the subject, and 3.55 meters behind it, which is not quite the 1/3-2/3 rule.

I calculated all of these numbers using the usual lens equation 1/f = 1/image_dist + 1/subject_dist. Rather than dork around with a calculator, if you go to the DOF calculator that Randy linked, https://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html, try plugging these numbers in. Then try changing the focus distance from 5 meters to 2 meters, or to 10 meters. You'll see that the DOF is close to half-and-half at close focus distances; as you focus farther away, the DOF behind the subject increases. Of course, objects far behind the subject are small on the film; it's possible to write this all in terms of magnifications.

Got the main camera body all glued up. 14.8oz so far. Also chopped and ripped most of the pieces for the spring back, so the next job will be to glue that up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_9646.jpg   IMG_9647.jpg   IMG_9649.jpg   IMG_9650.jpg  

Proceeding wonderfully!

And now I see I could use one of my existing 8X10 backs on a copycat of your camera.

Pictures are worth 1000 words!
    Tin Can

Absolutely you could make one of these and use a standard 8x10 back from another field camera. I am making this one just for 4x10 (not 5x8), so I'm using a horizontal design for the spring back, i.e., the outside dimensions are 10 1/2 x 11 1/2 instead of 11 1/2 x 11 1/2. This back will be rectangular, but not square, since I won't be reversing the back from landscape to portrait mode.

If I want to make a 4x10 portrait I will need to rotate the whole camera.

Here's the one I built to use a 121 f/8 Super Angulon at a fixed hyperfocal distance. The lens board is positionable to either be centered for a full 8x10 or aligned over each half of the 8x10 holder with a split frame dark slide for 4x10sClick image for larger version. 

Name:	pano.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	155.3 KB 
ID:	194049.