Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What portable lighting equipment do you use when your shoot portraits outside studio?

Re: What portable lighting equipment do you use when your shoot portraits outside stu

Yesterday while shooting tiny format I had my SB800 always on in sunny skies with clouds.

I was moving all over a historic village, into shadows outdoors and indoors.

Documentation, not art.

I have used up to 3 SB800 with LF.
    Tin Can

Re: What portable lighting equipment do you use when your shoot portraits outside stu

If you're going to use speedlights, I recommend these: https://www.amazon.com/Godox-High-Sp.../dp/B00I0OD55U

I have three of the earlier V850s. They have their own lithium batteries which give a lot of flashes and a fast recycle time. For LF, you don't need fancy Nikon or Canon flashes.

I did all of my commercial on-location lifestyle work with 3 of these, mostly bounced, using a Nikon camera. My Nikon flashes stayed at home.

There's a step up, at least in price, to a round head version.

The AD200 is more powerful, about 4 times more than a regular speedight, and the bare bulb can lead to better evenness in a modifier.

The AD400 adds a stop more light.

The AD600 adds 1/2 stop more light.

If I were buying today, I'd get an AD400pro.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Sure looks like a Nikon clone.

I have used mine for 13 years mostly with Eneloop rechargeable.

Peter is correct those are cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    If you're going to use speedlights, I recommend these: https://www.amazon.com/Godox-High-Sp.../dp/B00I0OD55U

I have three of the earlier V850s. They have their own lithium batteries which give a lot of flashes and a fast recycle time. For LF, you don't need fancy Nikon or Canon flashes.
    Tin Can

I did all of my commercial on-location lifestyle work with 3 of these, mostly bounced, using a Nikon camera. My Nikon flashes stayed at home.

There's a step up, at least in price, to a round head version.

The AD200 is more powerful, about 4 times more than a regular speedight, and the bare bulb can lead to better evenness in a modifier.

The AD400 adds a stop more light.

The AD600 adds 1/2 stop more light.

If I were buying today, I'd get an AD400pro.
    +1
    "Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy

The AD 400 does look good.

TTL, internal battery and transceiver.

One we pick a system most of us are stuck with our choice.
    Tin Can

I probably use F8-22 and I don't have any lighting equipment now.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    At what typical working apertures?

EDIT: And with what sorts of light modifiers, if any?

May be not, but it might be good for fill-in light?

Yes, but are they going to be bright enough?

Will take a look at AD400pro. Thanks!

the only thing I can add is to not cheap out on the light stand(s).. if weight is no object.. then get C-stands and a couple sandbags.. if you want more portable.. then Matthews medium kit stands are my favorites

I agree with Dr. Tang. Just as many people start with a horrible tripod, many people undervalue the utility and safety of a good light stand. I'm not a fan of c-stands for lights. They are very strong, usually being made out of steel, but the diameter of their leg spread is small. So they're unlikely to mechanically fail, but they are more likely to tip over than a stand with a wider base. In Hollywood, they're used for grip equipment and not lights. All of the major professional grip companies make good stands: Matthews, Kupo, Avenger...
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know