Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What portable lighting equipment do you use when your shoot portraits outside studio?

Re: What portable lighting equipment do you use when your shoot portraits outside stu

Yongnuo YN10800 & YN900C Bi-Color LED Panels (with a bunch of NP-F Sony-style rechargeable batteries) usually adapted to various circa 1980s Photoflex Lightdomes/Softboxes (#293 my favorite) mounted on even older Lowel light stands. Never need AC outlets and the softboxes relatively easy to set up and take down. Also using them now more and more to shoot video. Replaced my Dynalight system which too many times had to also lug along a Honda generator.

Re: What portable lighting equipment do you use when your shoot portraits outside stu

Want to use DC power and do one person portraits in general. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Ac power? Film/f-stop/modifier? One person/group? Headshots or...?

Well said, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    Environmental means environment, so the natural scene with the subject in it...

Look at the work of Arnold Newman, he used existing light but maybe added a single light for his subject usually...

This can be merely a cheap painters light just over the lens to fill in shadows and even out the subject... And not so bright as to overpower the ambient lights...

Steve K

Randy: I need a generator for sure. It is hurricane season here. I like those lights. David

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I have used a Honda EU1000i generator I bought 25 years ago with https://www.paulcbuff.com/Flash-Model-Comparison-Chart as i have them with many modifiers.

I may buy https://www.paulcbuff.com/Portable-P...-Lithium.html? as it is silent.

I also may buy the newer https://www.paulcbuff.com/digibee-flash-unit as all my modifiers fit.

I am also looking at the bigger Honda EU2200i as I need more power for another application.

Thanks for everyone's reply! Are there any hand-held LED lights available?

Yes, but are they going to be bright enough?
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I may also buy this as it's very quiet, key start and can run more things.

Don't wait they are selling. I need it more for winter power outages to run my furnace fridge and 2 little led

https://youtu.be/wAN77KzfYBQ

Quote Originally Posted by diversey View Post
    Randy: I need a generator for sure. It is hurricane season here. I like those lights. David
    Tin Can

I also plan to convert my generators to both propane and natural gas.

A transfer box is also needed.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by diversey View Post
    Want to use DC power and do one person portraits in general.
    At what typical working apertures?

EDIT: And with what sorts of light modifiers, if any?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Yes, but are they going to be bright enough?
    800 lumens is roughly the same output as a 60W incandescent bulb, so...
    Yongnuo YN900 LED 100% output is 7200 lumens or about 540 incandescent watts
    Yongnuo YN10800 LED 100% output is 10800 lumens or about 820 incandescent watts