Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What portable lighting equipment do you use when your shoot portraits outside studio?

Re: What portable lighting equipment do you use when your shoot portraits outside stu

Buy sand bags already filled with sand from B&H as they ship for free over $50.

I like my C Stands in studio with sand bags.

There are many useful variations to C Stands. Study them.
    Tin Can

Re: What portable lighting equipment do you use when your shoot portraits outside stu

C-stands with sandbags are quite stable. But I would not describe them as portable. They weigh over 15 lbs, and a couple of sandbags will be another 40 lbs! Takes some muscle to position the lights with C-stands. And they don't collapse very small or go very low without an arm. You will definitely need a van or SUV to haul everything around. An assistant comes in handy. too.

This is exactly what quality kit stands are for. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...Black_Kit.html
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

YouTube has lots of ideas.

Lighting Gear for Outdoor Portraits

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...door+Portraits
    Tin Can

I use an Elinchrom Ranger from many years ago. I'd imagine they still sell something like it. 1100 w/s gives you enough juice to use with the sun. You can eliminate the need for a sandbag too if you get a hook for the light stand. The battery acts like a sand bag. The older Rangers used a lead acid battery that can easily be replaced for 20 bucks or so which basically makes the pack brand new again. They aren't that expensive on fleabay. Better than buying some Chinese junk.

I was going to suggest some other things, but frankly you need assistants to do them. Stick with a battery powered flash that has enough power. I am sure people mean well, but those anemic little on camera units just don't cut it if you want great light.

This thread should cross reference the Fire puter outer thread.

Be careful to not start any fires outside and inside.

Forest burns well.

As does a field of grass.

Been there, running to a field fire to try to stop it before it consumed the barn...

Damn Bottle rocket...
    Last edited by Tin Can; 1-Aug-2019 at 14:06.
    Tin Can

Godox qualifies as "Chinese junk"? Broncolor uses a re-branded Godox transmitter for some of their systems. I have Speedotron blackline professional gear. My Godox gear has been just as reliable.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

I have a couple of Bowens Pioneer units. Fitted with an adapter they can hold brollies or a small softbox. These were sold before the Gemini power packs and are much easier to carry and store.

They come up for sale on eBay every so often - currently a set for sale in my hometown here in South Australia.
    These are the details from B&H (no longer available).

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._Portable.html
    --
    Nanette Reid
    nanette reid - architectural photographer
    http://www.nanettereid.com

I currently have Einsteins with Vagabonds for remote work. If I did it all over, would go Profoto if money was no object. Otherwise Godox.
    Last edited by Fred L; 2-Aug-2019 at 17:38.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

I agree with Fred. One really important point about lighting systems is how accessories, reflectors, softboxes, umbrellas....are attached. I dislike Buff's mounting system, although obviously lots of people use it successfully. I prefer a Bowen's mount, which Godox and many others offer, but the Profoto mount is even better, although there are less 3rd party accessories for it. The price, though.