Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shipping Container Camera

Re: Shipping Container Camera

Another video of Ian Ruhter's work:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My recollection is that this has been done before using photo paper as the sensitive medium. Not quite sure of the benefit in creating such a camera though; other than the novelty. If they would make Tri-X in something like three by four feet or five by seven feet then maybe . . .
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Some things are done just for fun. Such as any photography I do.

I can add this feature to my cargo trailer, still camp in it, or move my junk.

I like most things to be useful for several purposes.

Where's Dan and his container dreams?
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Storer View Post
    Jo Babcock maybe? He did a van / pinhole camera back in the day.

As for "interesting work", I like a lot of the portrait and figure work Richard Learoyd has done in his camera obscura project. YMMV.
    I met Richard on two occasions and experiencing his large Ilfochrome color images is somewhat surreal. I agree on the portrait and figure work, just sublime.

YMMV
    Cheers

not sure why he painted it to look like a Polaroid camera, but guessing it's eye candy to lure people in. but that gives a false, or mistaken impression, that the work will be instant, instead of paper negs. liked his rolling shutter board idea though.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Quote Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
    not sure why he painted it to look like a Polaroid camera, but guessing it's eye candy to lure people in. but that gives a false, or mistaken impression, that the work will be instant, instead of paper negs. liked his rolling shutter board idea though.
    It's based on the same Polaroid camera that the original Instagram logo was based on, and the more stylized camera logo they used until a couple of years ago. Anyway, that connotes "photography" to the intended audience, I imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by reddesert View Post
    It's based on the same Polaroid camera that the original Instagram logo was based on, and the more stylized camera logo they used until a couple of years ago. Anyway, that connotes "photography" to the intended audience, I imagine.
    I think there's also an element of: after the exposure happens a print comes out of the camera.

Brendan Barry also turned a camper into a camera/darkroom and painted it like a rangefinder, but I don't think anyone got confused.
    https://petapixel.com/2017/09/09/tur...able-darkroom/

I was initially offended by the non polaroid film, but think it's a camera and developing in one, so it is "functionally" a polaroid.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    My recollection is that this has been done before using photo paper as the sensitive medium. Not quite sure of the benefit in creating such a camera though; other than the novelty. If they would make Tri-X in something like three by four feet or five by seven feet then maybe . . .
    ...not quite sure of the benefits...

I agree and I spend more time than should thinking about this issue. Big is not automatically good but what are instances where the size, skill and subject all come together to do something which deserves ULF? Dennis Manarchy did the 4 by 6 foot work on Tri-X and in his hands it was truly magnificent.

Benefit? Can we start by agreeing that art isn't practical but has benefit for the soul?
    Enormous camera/darkroom benefit? Education/outreach! I think it's great that he's showing people how to do chemical based photography. As a kid, I really wanted to join my dad in the camera hobby and back in the late 1970's I got signed up for a pinhole camera class on Saturday mornings taught out of the basement of a museum on the Mall in D.C. we used 4x5 sheets of photo paper in cardboard boxes like the old school supply boxes, developed the paper negatives and the next class printed them. Most people have never seen or done this process. I think it's great he's doing it. I misunderstood the process at age 9 and didn't put the negative emulsion side down and got "soft" prints. When I re-found those negatives and reprinted them a few years ago I was astonished at what I saw.