Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shipping Container Camera

Shipping Container Camera

Tin Can

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: Shipping Container Camera

Interesting, but the lack of information makes me want to know more. What size is the Polaroid film that is being used? The link on “polaroid film” goes to Kmart’s offering of instant cameras, etc.

...all brought to you by the Ministry of Silly Cameras.

I'd hate to see the neck strap for that thing!

Not using Polaroid film at all, just BW paper negatives. Watch to the end and see that Ilford is one of the "partners". Quite neat project.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

I agree.

I like the way the original doors provide security and how the lens board is rolled into place and contains another light tight door.

It is worth watching the entire show.

Nice lens too!

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Storer View Post
    Not using Polaroid film at all, just BW paper negatives. Watch to the end and see that Ilford is one of the "partners". Quite neat project.
    Tin Can

One wonders if any of the photographers who build these ultra-large cameras ever produce any interesting photographs with them. Beyond 'OMG it's HUGE!' that is.
    I'm not talking about Douglas Busch or the Polaroid 20x24s, of course... It's just that I haven't seen anything from most of these (although I would like to). Would anyone point me to good photos made with such cameras?

Full disclosure: I first saw a van converted into a camera c.1988 when I was at the Visual Studies Workshop... someone was touring around with it and were proud of having made a big picture of the facade of the George Eastman House. Of course I've forgotten who it was, but it was the only the first of the 'enormous camera' projects I've heard about, and never seen the results.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    One wonders if any of the photographers who build these ultra-large cameras ever produce any interesting photographs with them. Beyond 'OMG it's HUGE!' that is.
    I'm not talking about Douglas Busch or the Polaroid 20x24s, of course... It's just that I haven't seen anything from most of these (although I would like to). Would anyone point me to good photos made with such cameras?

Full disclosure: I first saw a van converted into a camera c.1988 when I was at the Visual Studies Workshop... someone was touring around with it and were proud of having made a big picture of the facade of the George Eastman House. Of course I've forgotten who it was, but it was the only the first of the 'enormous camera' projects I've heard about, and never seen the results.
    Jo Babcock maybe? He did a van / pinhole camera back in the day.

As for "interesting work", I like a lot of the portrait and figure work Richard Learoyd has done in his camera obscura project. YMMV.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

Had to look that up. https://www.pacegallery.com/artists/709/richard-learoyd

Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Storer View Post
    Jo Babcock maybe? He did a van / pinhole camera back in the day.

As for "interesting work", I like a lot of the portrait and figure work Richard Learoyd has done in his camera obscura project. YMMV.
    Tin Can

Ian Ruhter does some interesting large wet plate work work using a van converted into a camera:

https://petapixel.com/2012/04/03/wet...at-van-camera/

https://www.ianruhter.com/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This particular photographer is doing this to engage the local community with photography and to educate his photography students at the university. As a pedagogical device, its quite brilliant.