Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Shipping Container Camera

  1. #1
    Tin Can's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    13,450

    Shipping Container Camera

    sin eater

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    4,852

    Re: Shipping Container Camera

    Interesting, but the lack of information makes me want to know more. What size is the Polaroid film that is being used? The link on “polaroid film” goes to Kmart’s offering of instant cameras, etc.

  3. #3
    William Whitaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    the Southern Part of Heaven
    Posts
    1,288

    Re: Shipping Container Camera

    ...all brought to you by the Ministry of Silly Cameras.

    I'd hate to see the neck strap for that thing!

  4. #4
    Tracy Storer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Oakland CA
    Posts
    907

    Re: Shipping Container Camera

    Not using Polaroid film at all, just BW paper negatives. Watch to the end and see that Ilford is one of the "partners". Quite neat project.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

  5. #5
    Tin Can's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    13,450

    Re: Shipping Container Camera

    I agree.

    I like the way the original doors provide security and how the lens board is rolled into place and contains another light tight door.

    It is worth watching the entire show.

    Nice lens too!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Storer View Post
    Not using Polaroid film at all, just BW paper negatives. Watch to the end and see that Ilford is one of the "partners". Quite neat project.
    sin eater

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    now in Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    2,879

    Re: Shipping Container Camera

    One wonders if any of the photographers who build these ultra-large cameras ever produce any interesting photographs with them. Beyond 'OMG it's HUGE!' that is.
    I'm not talking about Douglas Busch or the Polaroid 20x24s, of course... It's just that I haven't seen anything from most of these (although I would like to). Would anyone point me to good photos made with such cameras?

    Full disclosure: I first saw a van converted into a camera c.1988 when I was at the Visual Studies Workshop... someone was touring around with it and were proud of having made a big picture of the facade of the George Eastman House. Of course I've forgotten who it was, but it was the only the first of the 'enormous camera' projects I've heard about, and never seen the results.

  7. #7
    Tracy Storer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Oakland CA
    Posts
    907

    Re: Shipping Container Camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    One wonders if any of the photographers who build these ultra-large cameras ever produce any interesting photographs with them. Beyond 'OMG it's HUGE!' that is.
    I'm not talking about Douglas Busch or the Polaroid 20x24s, of course... It's just that I haven't seen anything from most of these (although I would like to). Would anyone point me to good photos made with such cameras?

    Full disclosure: I first saw a van converted into a camera c.1988 when I was at the Visual Studies Workshop... someone was touring around with it and were proud of having made a big picture of the facade of the George Eastman House. Of course I've forgotten who it was, but it was the only the first of the 'enormous camera' projects I've heard about, and never seen the results.
    Jo Babcock maybe? He did a van / pinhole camera back in the day.

    As for "interesting work", I like a lot of the portrait and figure work Richard Learoyd has done in his camera obscura project. YMMV.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

  8. #8
    Tin Can's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    13,450

    Re: Shipping Container Camera

    Had to look that up. https://www.pacegallery.com/artists/709/richard-learoyd

    Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Storer View Post
    Jo Babcock maybe? He did a van / pinhole camera back in the day.

    As for "interesting work", I like a lot of the portrait and figure work Richard Learoyd has done in his camera obscura project. YMMV.
    sin eater

  9. #9

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    477

    Re: Shipping Container Camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    One wonders if any of the photographers who build these ultra-large cameras ever produce any interesting photographs with them. Beyond 'OMG it's HUGE!' that is.
    I'm not talking about Douglas Busch or the Polaroid 20x24s, of course... It's just that I haven't seen anything from most of these (although I would like to). Would anyone point me to good photos made with such cameras?

    Full disclosure: I first saw a van converted into a camera c.1988 when I was at the Visual Studies Workshop... someone was touring around with it and were proud of having made a big picture of the facade of the George Eastman House. Of course I've forgotten who it was, but it was the only the first of the 'enormous camera' projects I've heard about, and never seen the results.
    Ian Ruhter does some interesting large wet plate work work using a van converted into a camera:

    https://petapixel.com/2012/04/03/wet...at-van-camera/

    https://www.ianruhter.com/


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Bellingham, WA (displaced Canadian)
    Posts
    400

    Re: Shipping Container Camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    One wonders if any of the photographers who build these ultra-large cameras ever produce any interesting photographs with them. Beyond 'OMG it's HUGE!' that is.
    I'm not talking about Douglas Busch or the Polaroid 20x24s, of course... It's just that I haven't seen anything from most of these (although I would like to). Would anyone point me to good photos made with such cameras?

    Full disclosure: I first saw a van converted into a camera c.1988 when I was at the Visual Studies Workshop... someone was touring around with it and were proud of having made a big picture of the facade of the George Eastman House. Of course I've forgotten who it was, but it was the only the first of the 'enormous camera' projects I've heard about, and never seen the results.
    This particular photographer is doing this to engage the local community with photography and to educate his photography students at the university. As a pedagogical device, its quite brilliant.

Similar Threads

  1. Setting up a darkroom inside a shipping container
    By Daniel Stone in forum Darkroom: Equipment
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: 30-Jul-2019, 18:38
  2. How long will Pyrocat HD last in open container?
    By stradibarrius in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-Jul-2013, 16:20
  3. My moving container got X-rayed
    By Lars Åke Vinberg in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 29-Dec-2005, 14:41
  4. insulated film container
    By Mick Noordewier in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 13-Dec-2005, 10:38

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •