Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Strange Dark line in Negative

Strange Dark line in Negative

I have got this B/W negative developed in local trusted lab and it has got this strange black line in the negative that is baffling everyone.
    This has happened in many negatives I got processed recently. Earlier everything was OK with same lab.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Black Line Neg.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	193721

I do not know in which link in the chain is causing it.

Re: Strange Dark line in Negative

Are the other lines in the same place, more or less ? Looks like a scratch on the emulsion. If you look at the emulsion, can u see anything amiss ?
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Scratches. Be careful when handling the film when loading and unloading sheets. Of course, there's a chance the lab was at fault, but they likely handle a lot more sheet film than you do...

If it was a scratch in the emulsion, it would show up as clear in the negative and dark in the print. Can you see anything on the surface of either side of the film?

If you scratch an undeveloped emulsion, the scratches become mechanically 'exposed' and will develop density.

Are the "scratches" the same or similar on each sheet?

Another option i've seen lately (on roll film admittedly) is a very thin hair-like invasion of the image area, which i think is being caused by threads of film base, thinner than a human hair and very difficult to see.

Mike

Examine the negative under a loupe for actual physical damage, i.e., a scratch. If there is no scratched away emulsion, then perhaps bending or kinking the sheet of film may have caused this. If the dark lines on other negatives are exactly the same, I'd look for something in the processing; perhaps something touching the negative during development. If the other dark lines are only similar, I'd be more likely to suspect handling.

Best,

Doremus

Benda and kinks tend to leave crescent-shaped marks with gradiated density. They're also more common on roll film than on sheet film. These really look like pre-development scratches to me.

Quote Originally Posted by koraks View Post
    Bends and kinks tend to leave crescent-shaped marks with graduated density. They're also more common on roll film than on sheet film. These really look like pre-development scratches to me.
    Yeah, I agree. If you look along the film edge, you will see some faint 'handling' scratches made either when the film was loaded in the holder, or when it was loaded in the tank. One of them even appears to protrude into the image area. And they all seem to have some density.

Quote Originally Posted by mpirie View Post
    Are the "scratches" the same or similar on each sheet?

Another option i've seen lately (on roll film admittedly) is a very thin hair-like invasion of the image area, which i think is being caused by threads of film base, thinner than a human hair and very difficult to see.

Mike
    When I first bought my Mamiya RB67 medium format camera that shoots 120 roll film, all 10 shots on my first roll had a very thin red line showing. I was befuddled? So I took apart the camera. The film back comes off separately. There on the back opening that exposes the film, stuck perfectly straight across at an angle between the top and the bottom was one of my wife's hairs.

Yes, she's a natural redhead.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/alankl...7625602231872/