Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Cooke XVa Lens Questions

Re: New Cooke XVa Lens Questions

I ordered mine from Badger Graphic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was I thought. Yesterday when I called Badger Graphic and wanted to place the order of the lens without shutter. The salesman told me some modifications are needed such as a shim between the lens and shutter for properly using the lens. However Cooke website does not mention any modifications needed besides the aperture scales. I was puzzled and this was the reason I posted a question here. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by karl french View Post
    Yes, as I said, the Cooke XVa is designed to work with a modern (not the old colorful) Copal 3 shutter. It comes with a rotating aperture scale that replaces th exterior band on the Copal 3.

The fancy gold trim ring screws into the front of the shutter. That offers some more threads for a 62mm filter when you are using a single group behind the shutter with the little anti flare insert in the mouth of the shutter.

The rear retaining ring situation is slightly different than standard. But nothing extraordinary.

The only “modification” to the shutter is removing the band around the shutter housing and replacing it with the dynamic aperture ring.

If you plan to share a shutter you’ll have to pick one aperture system or the other.

It’s really an amazing lens.

Oh, and barrel the lens ships with doesn’t have an aperture or mounting threads. So it would be a challenge to use it as a barrel lens. It mainly there to protect the rear elements during shipping.

You’ll definitely want to pick up one of the SK Grimes rear caps. Necessary protection when using only one lens group.

...the Cooke XVa is designed to work with a modern (not the old colorful) Copal 3 shutter. It comes with a rotating aperture scale that replaces th exterior band on the Copal 3...
    Thanks for that clarification. Images of a shutter-mounted XVa I've been able to find on line did not make it obvious. With your first-hand information, it's clear that either a Nikon or other modern Copal 3 can receive an XVa + aperture scale using only the appropriate jeweler's screwdriver. The process should be readily reversible if desired in the future.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

I second getting the caps made by SK Grimes for protecting the single components. I love my lens and just used it on a trip to Bodie with the 8x10. The same lens is great on my 14x17 with the 19 or 25 inch component. Nice and sharp so one lens can do a lot for me. I need to see if it will cover the 8x20 now.

Karl: Thanks! What you said made sense to me now. David

The fancy gold trim ring screws into the front of the shutter. That offers some more threads for a 62mm filter when you are using a single group behind the shutter with the little anti flare insert in the mouth of the shutter.

The rear retaining ring situation is slightly different than standard. But nothing extraordinary.

The only “modification” to the shutter is removing the band around the shutter housing and replacing it with the dynamic aperture ring.

If you plan to share a shutter you’ll have to pick one aperture system or the other.

It’s really an amazing lens.

Ken, the Compound #3 is 56mm as was the first series Copal's. They were interchangeable on some lenses, particularly Schneider. Ultimately the 56mm became the Copal 3S. Standard modern black Copal 3 is 58mm. I think a Compur electronic with one of these would be slick.

However, that said, y'all really all need two of these so that you can have the ultimate casket set. 268mm 312mm 364mm 483mm & 660mm

I bought mine (in a new Copal 3) from Clive Russ, one of the distributors of Cooke lenses; he's also a guy who has a deep knowledge and understanding of certain lenses and their particular characteristics. Picture Jim Galli with a British accent.
    Anyway, I had the chance to use the Cooke before purchase, and one of the first questions I asked was about the relatively low number of shutter blades.
    He told me that the lens performs so particularly with OOF areas that a shutter with more blades wouldn't have made a huge difference.
    After using the lens a few times, I very much appreciated his remark, which turned out to be quite true.
    The way it masters contrast is something I've never seen a lens do before, so the new Copal 3 shutter should not be a factor in any decision to buy this lens.
    It's really a unique and exceptional optic.
    Last edited by Ari; 5-Aug-2019 at 11:41.

Thanks for your inputs!

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    I bought mine (in a new Copal 3) from Clive Russ, one of the distributors of Cooke lenses; he's also a guy who has a deep knowledge and understanding of certain lenses and their particular characteristics. Picture Jim Galli with a British accent.
    Anyway, I had the chance to use the Cooke before purchase, and one of the first questions I asked was about the relatively low number of shutter blades.
    He told me that the lens performs so particularly with OOF areas that a shutter with more blades wouldn't have made a huge difference.
    After using the lens a few times, I very much appreciated his remark, which turned out to be quite true.
    The way it masters contrast is something I've never seen a lens do before, so the new Copal 3 shutter should not be a factor in any decision to buy this lens.
    It's really a unique and exceptional optic.