Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: An inexpensive LED enlarger head alternative

Drew Wiley

Re: An inexpensive LED enlarger head alternative

Yes. I got new LED rim panels for my copy station, and they'll be fine for that kind of color work involving the web, digital marketing, etc. But I had to adjust them using a color temp meter, as well as for balanced intensity. The advertised and dial values were way off, and the two panels didn't even match. No problem, because I expected it and knew what to do. Making dupes or internegs for actual color printing is a lot fussier application if one expects optimal results and you need critical lighting corresponding to the dye peaks. The extra fuss is well worth it, because one you have a master dupe to print from, you'll get more consistent results. I was just thumbing through several boxes of 8x10 dupes to prioritize which ones I want to work with this season.

Great idea. I may have to work on this myself. It looks like a fun winter project.
    Maybe should be moved to the DIY forum?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Drew Wiley

Hi Kirk. Great to hear from you! What were you referring to - the copystand setup, or a DIY LED lighting head? My rainy week project was to machine a lens ring for my Durst L184 that accepts a mount for either a 35mm camera or MF SLR. Then I made mounting arms for the baseboard to accept oval LED rim lights. I didn't have space for a whole new copystand; so this option allows me to almost go instantly back and forth between copystand and enlarger usage of the same Durst chassis. Then I lucked out when someone dropped a Nikon Df and dented the one place on it that had no functional effect. It got it third price inspected and with warranty. Got the camera and lights all balanced together at 5000K, but actual usage will have to await another rainy season. It's tricky finding the right panels. I use variable-temp Savage oval ones - no secondary diffuser pattern shows on the copy table like many panel lights. I'm finally free from hot lights, which were, err, rather hot; hard on the eyes too.

Jim Sidinger

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    .. and the two panels didn't even match. ...
    Yes, When I was buying LED strips for my enlarger head project (https://www.largeformatphotography.i...d-for-Omega-D5), which I'm still happily using, I found that you could pay extra for 'matched' LED emitters from a single batch in order to ensure that they shared the same lumen and color spectrum output. But the company never guaranteed that the spectral output exactly matched the 'sample' curves provided - only said that they would be close.

At the time, I was more focused on lumens / inch than the spectral curves. This got me a bright head, but it also got me a head which only could use Ilford MG filters to match contrast up to 2 1/2. Unlike Greg's example, I needed to go to Rosco materials to get beyond 2 1/2 due to deficits in some critical wavelengths. Was able to get to 5 but took some experimentation. Can be avoided now as some of the current high lumen output strips are much closer to halogen/incandescent curves. Will definitely plan to use if I ever decide to build V2.0 of my head.
    Best, Jim

Drew Wiley

I just don't see LED as a realistic option for high-quality color printing yet. As a potential replacement for VC and cold lights, yes.

Jim Sidinger

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I just don't see LED as a realistic option for high-quality color printing yet. As a potential replacement for VC and cold lights, yes.
    Drew, Just for clarity, I only print B&W. With no experience in color, I was not suggesting it would work there even with the improvements in LED technology. Above my pay grade.
    Best, Jim