Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: San Francisco - Monterey 10 Days

Re: San Francisco - Monterey 10 Days

A really nice motel in San Francisco is the Columbus Motor Inn on Columbus, away from the hustle of Union Square but near Fisherman's Wharf and central to Little Italy.
    Positives: nice rooms; it's a pretty safe place to walk around at night; free self parking; relatively quiet(unlike Union Square); plenty of pubs, Italian food and Gelato places close by.
    Cons: no free breakfast; no sweeping panoramic views from the 24th floor.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Heading back North on 101 from San Louis Obispo, you can stay on 101 and deal with Cuesta Grade, or take HWY 1 back to Morro Bay and rejoin 101 from HWY 41 or continue past Cayucos, almost to Cambria and take HWY 46 to rejoin 101. HWY 46 has splendid views of the coastline as you climb the hills as well as a few excellent wineries before it meets up with 101 in Paso Robles. Check road conditions to see if any roadwork is being scheduled and if there are any delays. Neither 46 or 41 see as much traffic as Cuesta Grade and 46 especially is much more scenic.
    Back on 101 heading Northbound, take the Mission St exit as you enter San Miguel and picturesque Mission San Miguel Archangel will soon appear on your right.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

There are two Missions easily explored along your way back to San Francisco, Mission San Antonio de Padua (a short detour from 101 through Ft Hunter Liggett) and Mission Nuestra Seņora de la Soledad in Soledad. I do not recommend staying at any of the towns North of San Miguel as this area is a notorious corridor for moving narcotics and with all the accompanying problems. Fortunately it's a fast and straight shot back to the South Bay through that stretch of 101 until you reach the safety of all those Factory Outlet stores.

A few more comments on the Santa Cruz area. As one continues down Highway 1 from Pescadero, there are a couple of small roads off to the side that lead back to Pescadero, then you pass Ano Nuevo State Park (known for elephant seals during their mating season), and then the road takes a brief sharp dive down to run right along the Pacific, at the place where Waddell Creek drains out of Big Basin state park into the ocean. There is a beach here and a pullout, tall bluffs inland, and it's all very dramatic. Big Basin Redwoods park - main entrance is inland from Hwy 236 - is a good place to hike for an afternoon or day. One can in fact hike all the way from Big Basin, inland, to the ocean (getting back would be a nuisance without a car shuttle; I did it once many years ago as a hike-a-bike).

Along this stretch, none of the side roads lead all the way back into the rugged interior and the crest of the ridge, because of Big Basin park and various private lands. Past Waddell and Scott Creeks is the tiny town of Davenport (couple places to eat) and then Bonny Doon road, which leads very steeply up to the ridge separating the San Lorenzo river valley from the coast. The Bonny Doon Winery tasting room used to be up Bonny Doon road, but now it's in downtown Santa Cruz - worth a visit. The coastal stretch from Davenport to Santa Cruz has a number of working fruit and vegetable farms on the coastal side. Given how housing prices in the Bay Area have gone wild, this would be incredibly expensive overbuilt coastal real estate, but it's protected from development and there are Brussels sprouts growing on it. Just before the Santa Cruz city limit, Wilder Ranch state park is a nice place to hike along the coast and inland, with IIRC some old ranch buildings, and just inside the city limit, Natural Bridges state beach. The bridge arches have all collapsed, but it's still good. In prime season, the beach can be quite crowded. Walk a little ways to the right (west) and there are some cool tidepools. This is also a well known spot for migrating monarch butterflies, but I think that's later in the fall.

In Santa Cruz, the park and bluff along West Cliff drive were already mentioned. There is a good view of the pier and a great view of the local expert surf break, Steamers Lane. Beginner surfers will be closer to the beach near the pier. Whether the surf is big that day depends on what kind of storm action is happening much further out in the Pacific. In any case, check out the small surfing museum in the little lighthouse at this bluff.

Drew Wiley

Avoid staying in Salinas too if on 101. San Juan Batista is a friendly spot to stay on 101; not deluxe, but a fun little town next to the mission, and about 20 min from Monterey. San Antonio de Padua is more rustic, with ruins, but one of the most interesting missions of all in my opinion. I might still be hot in Sept however, since it is somewhat inland. Unfortunately, Pinnacles NP might be kinda hot still too; you have to hike quite a bit to really appreciate it. But a morning venture would be rewarding. I almost forgot, there are pumpkin farms on Hwy 1 along the San Mateo coast between Half Moon Bay and Santa Cruz. They will be preparing for Halloween season, and have contests to try to grow the largest pumpkin on earth. A conspicuous color film opportunity if you like that kind of subject.

If you're planning on San Antonio Mission, remember that it's on a military base and they have fairly strict I.D. and insurance requirements for entry. I can't remember exactly what they are right now but look it up before you go.

If you're in San Juan Batista during lunch or dinner time, look for Jardine's for Mexican, or if you're on a budget the market on the edge of town builds a pretty good sandwich.
    In a perfect world, you'll want to hit the major tourist areas before the tour buses get there especially if you're shooting.

Drew Wiley

One of my nephews was married in Mission San Juan Bautista, and the reception was in the big outdoor garden of Jardines. Friendly with affordable decent food. If you prefer to go broke instead, eat in Carmel or Pebble Beach.

horstenj, Thanks for your suggestions, I've added these galleries to my "things to do" list; they sound wonderful, but I also have to balance my interests with my wife's, so it's hard to say which we will get to visit. And indeed, I do have an invitation to meet one of our Forum members, I have that "coffee meeting" on my tentative schedule and will be in contact, if the timing works out, we will meet face-to-face.

For everyone who has posted, we're only a day away from take-off. The 4x5 etc. is packed and ready to go (hand luggage), tripod in the checked bag, and so on. Even bought a couple of 25-sheet boxes of film (I normally buy the 100s) because while I have not had TSA issues in the past with "repackaged" film, I figured they will have less interest in factory-sealed boxes on the outbound flight. I have hotel reservations in San Francisco (recommended by one poster), and B&B reservations in Pacific Grove and Cambria. Also a couple of dinner reservations in San Francisco, and reservations for the "Alcatraz Tour" (wasn't on my priority list, but one daughter said she loved it, and my wife wanted to go, so "yes, dear" seemed appropriate) and for Hearst Castle (all the books said reservations were a good idea). The rest is more flexible, but one full day is blocked out for Pt. Lobos and Carmel, another full day for many stops driving down the PCH from Monterey to Cambria through the Big Sur.

Hopefully will have some decent images to post upon our return, although there will be a slight delay in developing due to the "Pyrocat HD Sudden Death" thread in Darkroom, I'm going to mix up a fresh batch of Pyrocat-HDC when I get back, which will take a little time to get the chemicals and so on. Haven't "mixed my own" in probably 40 years since starting with D-23 and the Ansel Adams series which I think was a starting point for many of us.

Les

Peter, you may need some color film....for things like the sunset setting below the GG Bridge....on the way to Alcatraz . Enjoy.

Les