Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A visit to an art fair

A visit to an art fair

Yesterday, I walked through an art fair centered around the John Michael Kohler Art Museum in Sheboygan, WI. There were a number of photographers there. A few things jumped out at me. First, color, especially bright, saturated color predominated. Second, frameless or framed but without glass artwork, was much more common than framed/glazed pieces. No doubt that has to do with cost, breakage and general hassle. There were a lot of metal or rigid acrylic looking prints. Prices ranged from $2K for the biggest prints down to about $200-400 for mid-sized prints.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Re: A visit to an art fair

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Yesterday, I walked through an art fair centered around the John Michael Kohler Art Museum in Sheboygan, WI. There were a number of photographers there. A few things jumped out at me. First, color, especially bright, saturated color predominated. Second, frameless or framed but without glass artwork, was much more common than framed/glazed pieces. No doubt that has to do with cost, breakage and general hassle. There were a lot of metal or rigid acrylic looking prints. Prices ranged from $2K for the biggest prints down to about $200-400 for mid-sized prints.
    As another data point, around these parts, the most successful (commercially, not artistically) art fair photographers sell landscape photos, most of which contain many colors not found in nature, and almost all of which are printed on canvas. <sigh>

And almost all of the art fairs now charge admission, too, which IMO, adds a financial insult to the visual injury I usually experience.
    JG

More of my photos can be seen at my photo-blog here: https://audiidudii.aminus3.com/

I went to several art fairs here. Many photography booths showed color digital prints on metals or acrylics too, which are very saturated. I have not seen any black and white large format prints in art fair for many years.

art is often not art

lol
    Tin Can

Yes, colors that are never ever seen in nature.
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."

Can we ever reproduce nature. Exactly?

That would be un-natural.

Most critters see differently.

Some are on a different wavelength.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Collins View Post
    Yes, colors that are never ever seen in nature.
    Tin Can

Outdoor art fairs are not a place to find serious art. They tend to be kitschy. Bright, unnatural colors appeal to that crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    I found exactly the same at a well-attended fair near me. I'd rather buy a painting from a local artist. Or just turn up the color settings on my TV and let it cycle through all the photos it displays when I pause a program too long.

Most viewers, especially lay viewers, are immediately struck on entering my tent at the lack of color. It's an immediate visual difference, and I do think people take notice.

Thanks for the report on the pricing, that is interesting. Of course there's always folks that think a matted 16x20 print should be $20, which can be frustrating to deal with.

Would love to have you in my booth Peter!

PS...not sure I should "announce" it on the forum, but I was featured on the Studio C-41 podcast yesterday talking about selling photography at art fairs...
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I'd love to visit a fair that you're at, Bryan. I have no doubt that your work is excellent. I also don't want to poo poo color. In the past I've seen Jim Becia's color work at the very same art fair. Jim is a member here. I liked it enough that I've bought three prints over the years. I'd buy more, but funds are scare. The big art show in the state is the one in Madison, but I haven't been able to get there for a few years. Sure, I've been to a bunch of shows where I didn't like anything, but the same can be said for a number of museums that I've visited.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know