Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: A visit to an art fair

Re: A visit to an art fair

Having wrestled LOT with what subject matter, what is "Art" and all. there is not much interest for me to do traditional landscape, or similar images due to the sheer volume of these images created to this day. Yes, there are still some to be done, yet IMO the image market is very saturated with images like these. Same applies to so many images made today along the traditional photographic ways. This has been made far worst by the mass volume of digital imaged up-loaded into social media daily.

Or dilution of what was once were not as easily available to most.

Commercial images like advertising, weddings, portrait sittings and such have essentially a captures audience as the image maker is "hired or commissioned" to produce images to meet the expectations of the fund_er.

This brings back the previous question-discussion of what is "Art" and their value to Humanity as a whole?

As for Value of property-real estate driving out art, there is much truth in this. The South of Market in San Francisco was once a very thriving artist community due to low cost housing, real estate and such. It was possible to rent an un-used warehouse or similar old building then put in several artist as their studio and living space. Today, the market value of those once low cost locations have gone up in remarkable ways driving out Artist in the process.

Bernice

RE: "traditional" landscape and a saturated market...

I agree in a limited fashion about some parts of the USA (Yosemite* comes to mind, obviously), but really, every (artist) has their own perspective and spin on things, and that can be THE image for an art buyer looking for a fresh perspective. There's also many places that have not had many/any "Fine Art" photos taken at it. I guarantee you will not find any images of the Dead River in north Florida other than mine and perhaps some cell phone shots by canoers, for example. I think this is especially true in the southeastern US...

The real problem I have found is people preferring their cellphone or DSLR snapshot at xyz location, because they took it, to commemorate the time they went there. Even if they know their image isn't as "good" as a fine art print, it doesn't really matter, because they took it. And with photography being such an ubiquitous hobby and affordable cameras with a zillion pixels and VR coming out, it's common for these images to be at least of a high quality, making sharp prints. I would insist of course that there is much more to an image than good image quality, but for many, it just doesn't matter.

*On the subject of Yosemite and this topic: I love Clyde Butcher's work but his images taken at or near some of Adams' famous photographs leave me cold. From what I understand, he did this by request from the NPS, and they are not bad at all, I just find them to be weaker than his unique work in Florida.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

My apologies...but allowing the fact that "its been done before" to dictate ones direction indicates a serious lack of passion and commitment. I could care less about anything that's been "done before." All of my work, and all of the work of everyone on this forum, is original - no matter may have come before. My passion, my heart, and my vision guide me...period!

Art shows each have their peculiar buyer constituencies. It is a market thing. There is no mediation of what is worthwhile. As Andy Warhol said, "Art is whatever you can get away with."

Having participated in about 400 art fairs over the last 20 plus years, I’d like to think I have a pretty good perspective on art fairs. I’ve done as many as 24 in a season, but I’m now down to 7 this year as I think this will be my last “hurrah.” For the last 9 or 10 years, art fairs have been my only source of income. Here are some of my observations on art fairs.
    Right now, metal prints are the flavor” of the moment. I personally do not use them in my shows, nor do I use canvas. Those are artistic decisions I made. That being said, I’m certainly in the minority of photographers. Most metal pieces are over the top to my eyes. Canvas doesn’t make sense for me as an 8x10 film user. I don’t frame anything (anymore) as it seems, at least at this point in time, that the public isn’t as interested. What I generally see is that those who use digital cameras tend to have the largest pieces which seems ironic to me as my wok tends to be generally smaller.

I have seen some wonderful photographic work in both color and black and white at art fairs, but I do admit to thinking there is more mediocre work. While I see more color, I do know the black and white photographers that I see are very successful. There is certainly a tendency in US color landscapes to have the iconic images with nice skies. I, on the other hand, show maybe two or three images with skies, and they certainly are not iconic in any way. The most successful color photographers I know are those that photograph in Europe or other exotic locations. I think there’s a simple explanation for that. Those “customers “ that vacation in Europe or other exotic areas tend to have more discretionary income.

I just completed “Art Fair on the Square“ in Madison, WI. It’s probably one of the top 25 shows in the country with about 525 artists and over 200,000 people in attendance. It is a very difficult show to get juried into. My success rate for jurying was about 70%, so there is no guarantee about getting accepted. What I hate the most about shows is the “weather “ factor. About ten years ago, I lost everything to 100 mph straight line winds in Omaha, Nebraska. Makes one a bit “gun shy” when it comes to weather. I’ve had great shows monetarily, and I’ve had some where you question your sanity for making what amounts to about $2.50 an hour. There are great shows, mediocre ones, and poor ones. One of the keys is to do the better ones. That entails greater expense and as a rule more traveling.

It’s not easy but I’m glad I’ve pursued it. It’s allowed me a lifestyle where I travel and photograph for about ten weeks. I’m not rich monetarily but I have enjoyed myself immensely. If anyone has any questions, I’m more than happy to try to answer them. Jim
    Last edited by Jim Becia; 28-Jul-2019 at 18:47.

Jim, you have a great success story.

However I have only gone to the Square for the farmer's market, never even heard of the Art fair.

I used to live near North Freedom.
    Tin Can

Born L.A.-NYC is 2nd Home-Rustbelt is Home Base

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Yesterday, I walked through an art fair centered around the John Michael Kohler Art Museum in Sheboygan, WI. There were a number of photographers there. A few things jumped out at me. First, color, especially bright, saturated color predominated. Second, frameless or framed but without glass artwork, was much more common than framed/glazed pieces. No doubt that has to do with cost, breakage and general hassle. There were a lot of metal or rigid acrylic looking prints. Prices ranged from $2K for the biggest prints down to about $200-400 for mid-sized prints.
    Nice if you had some photos from it. You would think this is some writers forum with the terrible reports from the field that have no illustrations. Every show I go to, I shoot it. I mean, you are already there, shoot a few snaps. Takes no time. I have a whole website just on shows. But I can't put it up here. Been warned numerous times.

Quote Originally Posted by invisibleflash View Post
    Nice if you had some photos from it. You would think this is some writers forum with the terrible reports from the field that have no illustrations. Every show I go to, I shoot it. I mean, you are already there, shoot a few snaps. Takes no time. I have a whole website just on shows. But I can't put it up here. Been warned numerous times.
    FYI, every art fair I've attended over the past few years has been held on private property and had "No Photography allowed" signs posted at each of the entrances.

And when I ignored them to take a few photos of the friend I was with, not the art work on display, I was quickly reminded of this by several people.

So taking photos may not be as straightforward as you suggest, depending on the show's policy toward photography and where it's being held.
    JG

More of my photos can be seen at my photo-blog here: https://audiidudii.aminus3.com/

Cripes.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by invisibleflash View Post
    Photos of what? People walking around?
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome