Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Americana

Re: Americana

I had missed your photos somehow, and just found them. Greatness, it's the America I remember from my youth.

. . Coca Cola 10¢ at Taylors Drug.......Rural Polk County, Oregon
    . . Coca Cola. 10¢ by Reinhold S., on Flickr. .Neg# FArm 035. Mamiya RB67, 180mm Yg filter, PXP film. 1980

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    That's one tightly focused definition pivoting about music. Irrelevant here. We know Americana when we see it.
    You guys would complain and argue over which is better - a Bagpipe or Accordion Zydeco band.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyowen View Post
    Jac, not wishing to be pedantic, but are you being a bit parochial. For instance, are you limiting yourself to the lower 48 or do you include Alaska and Hawaii?
    Americana is defined by the Merriam-Webster dictionary as a genre of music having its roots in the early folk music of America.
    Where America is defined as:
    1 either continent (North America or South America) of the western hemisphere
    2 or the Americas \ the lands of the western hemisphere including North, Central, and South America and the West Indies
    3 United States of America
    Regards
    Tony
    Dictionary definition is one thing, how people perceive and use the word is another.
    "Americana" conjures images in my mind that are unrelated to the North/South American continent, and have everything to do with the specific culture of the US, at a particular point in time. My version of it encompasses 1935-1975.
    And as you said, the term also loosely defines a broad range of music that is still being written and performed to this day, having evolved from several branches of American country music.
    Canadiana or Mexicana might be somehow related, but neither term carries the weight of the original. For me, at least.

Back On Track...
    . . A child's seat on a bicycle outside a tavern door... ? This is Montana, remember...
    . . Chester, Montana by Reinhold S., on Flickr. . Neg # BUCO 052. Mamiya RB67. 180mm, YG filter, PXP film

Plenty more here... https://www.flickr.com/photos/154287...h/38654426324/

Reinhold

Love the roadside tourist stops. Unfortunately this caught fire several years ago and is now gone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Titan Fireworks A.jpg  

. . Dog World. Hot Dog Drive-in. South Beloit, Illinois.
    . . South Beloit, Illinois by Reinhold S., on Flickr. . Neg# BUCO 442. Mamiya RB67, 180mm, Yg filter, FP4 film. 2003

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Associated Oil Station (1927)

Restored and moved to History Park in San Jose. For a little history on Associated Oil Company (1901) see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Associated_Oil_Company

Pentax 645N.

Thomas

Drew Wiley

Resemble the pumps at my hometown, at least until those pumps and most of the little town itself outright blew up when a logging truck swerved wide and hit the pumps. Same kind of pumps as at the Bodie restoration too.

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    I like these photos; they reveal a culture that's unfamiliar to me. I think that these and others warrant publication in a photographic essay or book.
    I also like the photos a lot, wish I had done more of this kind of work in the 60s and 70s.

You make a good point about the culture. Many regions in the United States have unique cultures that differentiate highly from the norm in many respects, and southern Appalachia is certainly one of them.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon