Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Americana

Re: Americana

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Oh ya big kidder. Americana refers strictly to the USA. )
    Jac, not wishing to be pedantic, but are you being a bit parochial. For instance, are you limiting yourself to the lower 48 or do you include Alaska and Hawaii?
    Americana is defined by the Merriam-Webster dictionary as a genre of music having its roots in the early folk music of America.
    Where America is defined as:
    1 either continent (North America or South America) of the western hemisphere
    2 or the Americas \ the lands of the western hemisphere including North, Central, and South America and the West Indies
    3 United States of America
    Regards
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by tonyowen View Post
    Jac, not wishing to be pedantic, but are you being a bit parochial. For instance, are you limiting yourself to the lower 48 or do you include Alaska and Hawaii?
    Americana is defined by the Merriam-Webster dictionary as a genre of music having its roots in the early folk music of America.
    2 or the Americas \ the lands of the western hemisphere including North, Central, and South America and the West Indies
    Regards
    Tony
    That's one tightly focused definition pivoting about music. Irrelevant here. We know Americana when we see it.

We can expand it to "North Americana".

A few more images from the hear of coal mining country in the Cumberland Mountains of East TN.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Faith Devonia 118.jpg   Faith Get Right 94.jpg   Faith Get Right 95.jpg   Faith Prepare 63.jpg  

Can we consider people as americana especially if they contributed to American music. Anyway here are some of the legends of American bluegrass, Bill Monroe, Lester Flat, Ralph Stanley and Don Reno. Not the best scans but they'll do. I would have made these around 1973.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bill Monroe A.jpg   Lester Flatt.jpg   Ralph Stanley 1.jpg   Don Reno 1.jpg  

Here's 4 more images form the past. Again in the early 70's except for the junk yard which was around 2003.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A&W.jpg   Auto Parts 46.jpg   General Merchandise Wartburg 1970's 001.jpg   Marjorie 1a.jpg  

. . Bargain Barn & Pawn. Idaho
    . . Bargain Barn & Pawn. Idaho by Reinhold S., on Flickr. . Neg# BUCO 094. Mamiya RB67, 90mm lens, YG filter, TMX film. 1989

More samples here... https://www.flickr.com/photos/154287...57704578190405

Reinhold

Quote Originally Posted by tonyowen View Post
    Regards
    Tony
    An interesting linguistic problem!
    Take Americana to be a shortened United States of Americana, and the problem goes away as it references a Geo-political area.
    This would also bring parity with terms such as Canadiana and Mexicana, if such terms even exist (and I think they should!)
    Taking Americana to be a shortened North Americana expands the subject to such a greater geographical territory that the OP's defining of a Geo-political interest would be easily lost.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Don Dudenbostel View Post
    A couple more from the 70's. The tattoo and boys are from Petros TN near the TN maximum security prison where James Earl Ray was housed. For those that don't know the name he killed Martin Luther King. The children were shot in a remote Mennonite colony in Tennessee again in the 70's. Again Leica M gear and a variety of lenses except the square image which was with my Rollei SL66 and 150 Sonnar. Film would have been TX most likely.

Attachment 193525Attachment 193526Attachment 193527Attachment 193528
    I like these photos; they reveal a culture that's unfamiliar to me. I think that these and others warrant publication in a photographic essay or book.

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    I like these photos; they reveal a culture that's unfamiliar to me. I think that these and others warrant publication in a photographic essay or book.
    I TOTALLY agree!