Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Availability of ABS pipe

Re: Availability of ABS pipe

You can't get 4" ABS sewer pipe from the home store!?!!! They don't know what you are talking about!?!! Go somewhere else, they have to have it!!!

If you have to cut down a length, a 10" chop saw should be able to cut it easily... Secure one end well...

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    You can't get 4" ABS sewer pipe from the home store!?!!!
    Actually, the availability of ABS pipe varies regionally - it all depends on what is allowed in local plumbing codes. Where I live in New York, PVC pipe is readily available, but ABS is very hard to find.

For this application you might be able to use Schedule 40 PVC, but I would want to do a test first to make sure that light won't bleed through the white walls.

If you’re going to use pvc you want the grey pvc electrical conduit. Also schedule 40 I believe.

Roger

Okay.... I just checked Ebay...one guy has 2' lengths of 4" ABS for $20-but free shipping. Another guy has a 10' length for $56 plus $5 shipping ( some kind of promotional shipping deal). Several could split the cost of the 10' piece...

Will, as regards your question about how did we get to the moon? We had slide rules then. Not sure we can achieve it again with computers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    Will, as regards your question about how did we get to the moon? We had slide rules then. Not sure we can achieve it again with computers.
    The interesting fact about that is that the Russians used the exact same slide rules

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    You can't get 4" ABS sewer pipe from the home store!?!!! They don't know what you are talking about!?!! Go somewhere else, they have to have it!!!

If you have to cut down a length, a 10" chop saw should be able to cut it easily... Secure one end well...

Steve K
    And go slowly through the pipe.

ABS pipe was largely supplanted by PVC. Timeframe might vary by locale. But if you look for it in an area with older homes, you might have better luck. Also, what you find around here for 4" ABS is cellular core. Not sure if that would make a difference as a development tube.

Of course you'll also want end caps too.

Drew Wiley

Aircell ABS is a lot stronger and thicker than PVC DWV (drain/waste/vent) pipe, which is a cheapo substitute. Here in earthquake and sliding soil country, PVC is a big no-no except for landscaping drainage. Pressurized pipe is a different topic. Thin white PVC is not light tight. Gray schedule 40 is, but it's for use as electrical conduit, and generally more expensive than ABS. Thick black ABS has the added advantage of being the most insulating in terms of retaining internal chemical temperature. But it's important to scrub or rinse out ABS well prior to photographic chemical use to remove any sulphur impurities. There are better polymers to choose from; but the affordability of ABS and PVC make them popular. An industrial plastics supplier was once just across the street from where I worked. You could get almost anything. Need a pure teflon 1-1/2" valve? They had these in stock for a mere $5,000 apiece.