Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cap for loupe

Cap for loupe

I just got a used Wista loupe to replace my lost one. It would be nice to have a cap to put on it when its in my bag. The diameter is 33mm. Any ideas where to look?

Thanks.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Re: Cap for loupe

B&H or any other camera store for a Kaiser cap.

Eschewing the Kaiser cap price, I happened to pick up a gallon of distilled water in the usual store square jugs and noticed the cap size. Looked as if it might be close. Sure enough. After about 10 minutes of carefully cutting out the inner rim with a single-edge razor, I have a cap. It's a bit shallow but could be kept on with a rubber band in needed. Until something better comes along that cheap, it works for me.
    Philip Ulanowsky

www.imagesinsilver.art

Quote Originally Posted by Ulophot View Post
    Eschewing the Kaiser cap price, I happened to pick up a gallon of distilled water in the usual store square jugs and noticed the cap size. Looked as if it might be close. Sure enough. After about 10 minutes of carefully cutting out the inner rim with a single-edge razor, I have a cap. It's a bit shallow but could be kept on with a rubber band in needed. Until something better comes along that cheap, it works for me.
    And doesn’t out gas and ruin the glass!

The bottom of my magnifier had an odd sized outer diameter measurement. I took a wide black plastic screw on cap that I had lying around and removed the plastic screw threads. Then I glued onto the inside of the cap a ring of velvet type material. Worked like a charm and way more durable that the usual OEM plastic cap with its shallow walls. Fortunately had a Schneider lens cap that fit onto the top of the magnifier. Lenses come with front and back caps. In my experience, magnifiers might come with bottom caps but very seldom come with top caps.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    The bottom of my magnifier had an odd sized outer diameter measurement. I took a wide black plastic screw on cap that I had lying around and removed the plastic screw threads. Then I glued onto the inside of the cap a ring of velvet type material. Worked like a charm and way more durable that the usual OEM plastic cap with its shallow walls. Fortunately had a Schneider lens cap that fit onto the top of the magnifier. Lenses come with front and back caps. In my experience, magnifiers might come with bottom caps but very seldom come with top caps.
    Have you bought a new Wista loupe?

Hi, Bob. If I understand you correctly, you mean that the distilled water cap will not outgas, but some of the plastic ones can. I{ have seen other posts on the subject of plastics out-gassing; it seems to be something of a complex subject. DO you have any layman's guide that might be useful?
    Philip Ulanowsky

www.imagesinsilver.art

Quote Originally Posted by Ulophot View Post
    Hi, Bob. If I understand you correctly, you mean that the distilled water cap will not outgas, but some of the plastic ones can. I{ have seen other posts on the subject of plastics out-gassing; it seems to be something of a complex subject. DO you have any layman's guide that might be useful?
    Use caps specifically made for lenses and don’t worry about the problem. Using bottle caps could become a big problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Use caps specifically made for lenses and don’t worry about the problem. Using bottle caps could become a big problem.
    Got it. Thank you.
    Philip Ulanowsky

www.imagesinsilver.art

There are some small Leather pouches on Etsy for about $15 or less if what you are seeking is protection inside your bag - you will likely lose the cap. Or go to a craft store and DIY with thin craft leather. Or even simpler - 1/2 kids sock or a baby's sock.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography