Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Seeking Advice for 4x5 Handheld Camera

Re: Seeking Advice for 4x5 Handheld Camera

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBrain View Post
    @ OP, I looked into doing this a few years back, and found lots of good advice on this forum. I tried 2 (almost 3) of the suggestions you've already been provided with above. My experiences were as follows (although keep in mind that I shoot documentary-*style* portraits on the street, not genuine street photography).

- I started with a Crown Graphic (lighter than the Speed Graphic, and as I wasn't interested in movements I missed nothing by going this route). The Crown is light enough to use handheld, as long as you take regular breaks. This worked well for me for quite a while. I found the Crown *much* easier to use when attached to a flash handle (of the kind that Star Wars fans have unfortunately made a little scarce in recent years). I didn't use it as a flash at all, but just found that it made for an excellent grip, making the camera handle much better. The reason I eventually sold the Graflex was because I needed different focal length lenses that I could change "in the field" and discovered that it was almost impossible to find rangefinder cams for them.

- I moved to a Linhof Supertechnika V, purchased 3 or 4 great lenses for it, and sent the whole package off to Linhof to have them cut new cams, so that all the lenses are calibrated to the rangefinder. It's an amazing setup, and the results are incredible, but it's significantly heavier than the Graflex. It could probably be used for street shooting, but you'd definitely want alter your approach so as to spend more time sitting around waiting for shots to come together, rather than walking the streets with it in your hand(s). Even this would be more hard work than some may be willing to do. I'm something of a masochist though, and will do whatever is necessary to get the shot. You may or may not be as willing to suffer for your art.

- I also backed the Wanderlust Travelwide kickstarter campaign and received one of these cameras. But by the time it arrived my interest in shooting such a high-fi format in such a lo-fi way had waned. I was also incredibly busy shooting "real" work at the time, so I'm ashamed to say I've never even opened the box it came in. Will probably sell it shortly in order to buy film. Personally I think I'd opt for 6x7 roll film over a travelwide now, but that's just me.

In short, if you can live with a single focal length (or are willing to purchase 2 bodies, each with a different lens mounted on it), then the Crown Graphic is likely your best bet.

I did also look into the Razzles and various other polaroid conversions, but forget why I ultimately excluded them from my shortlist. I just remember that although they initially looked like the most appealing option, there was a single deal-breaker that meant that they just didn't work for me. Probably also the interchangeable lens issue.
    Did you ever meet Mary Ellen Mark? She wasn’t very big, in fact, you might have called her petite. Many of her photographs were done with a handheld Linhof Master Technika!

Many shooters that use the Technika handheld use a shoulder to help support the bed. Others use both the left and right hand grips with their elbows tucked into their body

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    *sigh* does nobody remember the fly-weight magnesium alloy Printex 4X5? I have a couple with good rangefinders.
    Fly-weight? Surely you jest. And it is a much more limited camera than a Crown Graphic.

With a Crown with a side-mount Kalart, you can use multiple infinity stops. They fold down easily to get out of your way if you are moving the front standard out for a longer lens, or in for a shorter one. Add tape to the bed if you can't find a proper bed scale for your alternative lenses. Mark infinity and a couple closer distances. Now you have a camera with 3 or more lens choices you can easily change in the field. Estimating distances then setting the focus to your marks takes a little practice, but it isn't that hard. (More than 2 million Rollei 35s with that system were sold...) True, Kalart is set up for just one of your lenses. But you don't have to worry about changing out cams.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Crisp View Post
    With a Crown with a side-mount Kalart, you can use multiple infinity stops. They fold down easily to get out of your way if you are moving the front standard out for a longer lens, or in for a shorter one. Add tape to the bed if you can't find a proper bed scale for your alternative lenses. Mark infinity and a couple closer distances. Now you have a camera with 3 or more lens choices you can easily change in the field. Estimating distances then setting the focus to your marks takes a little practice, but it isn't that hard. (More than 2 million Rollei 35s with that system were sold...) True, Kalart is set up for just one of your lenses. But you don't have to worry about changing out cams.
    It’s a lot easier guesstimating focus with a 40mm lens with a depth of scale index engraved around its barrel!

Here is a link to a company that is making something like the Travelwide. I don't have one. I have never seen one in real life. From the photos is looks clunkier than a Travelwide, but it looks legit.

https://www.cameradactyl.com/butterg...x5-hand-camera

Yes, Dan, it is limited in my experience to a ~127 mm lens. Limiting implies not schlepping two or more lenses which obviously adds weight. Less is good. Should I find a scale I will weight it then the obvious metrics can be compared.

Can anyone recommend a hanging weight scale? I have one for weighing fish but in our Upper Mississippi River it is way too optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Yes, Dan, it is limited in my experience to a ~127 mm lens. Limiting implies not schlepping two or more lenses which obviously adds weight. Less is good. Should I find a scale I will weight it then the obvious metrics can be compared.

Can anyone recommend a hanging weight scale? I have one for weighing fish but in our Upper Mississippi River it is way too optimistic.
    Jac, a digital bathroom or postal scale works well...

Steve K

If you just need one or two lenses, a Busch Pressman or B&J press are lighter than Graflexes...

The FP shutter Graflex models seem to have an advantage, but in practice are a bit cumbersome to use, as the film slide has to be in while winding shutter (with film in) or changing slit speeds, they create some internal vibration, RF might not couple to many barrel lenses, if focusing with GG, shutter has to be set to open, and camera is slightly heavier than Crowns...

For faster shooting, the suggestion a RF MF camera is good, as one can shoot some of them fast while keeping camera at eye level while cocking/advancing film roll...

Steve K

Kent, I found a very clean Beseler C6 and was able to get it at a very good price. I have just started using it, but so far, it is producing very good negatives. I have the standard lens that came with the camera and it is perfectly calibrated. I may just leave well enough alone and always use it with this standard lens. The focal plane shutter on this camera has been a welcomed option for my style of photography. The camera is very simple to use and so far, I am very happy with it. I tend to use it on a monopod, but I can definitely use it free hand if desired for a period of time. I like to hike with it and when the view inspires me to stop, I will. Someone much younger could probably use it freehand all day without issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    Turns out there is yet another choice from the 1950. The Beseler C6. I can handle lenses from 90 to 250mm. Downsides are they tend to be expensive and I've read they are heavy.

Of the ones mentioned so far on this thread, I'd probably go with a converted Polaroid for what you want. It's the least fiddly and obtrusive.

https://lommen9.home.xs4all.nl/Ameri...seler%201.html

Kent in SD

Thanks for the tip... I wasn't aware of them, so I will review more closely. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by wyofilm View Post
    Here is a link to a company that is making something like the Travelwide. I don't have one. I have never seen one in real life. From the photos is looks clunkier than a Travelwide, but it looks legit.

https://www.cameradactyl.com/butterg...x5-hand-camera