Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Seeking Advice for 4x5 Handheld Camera

Foamer

Re: Seeking Advice for 4x5 Handheld Camera

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    Thanks, Peter. It was fun to fabricate and even more fun to take out and use

Turns out there is yet another choice from the 1950. The Beseler C6. I can handle lenses from 90 to 250mm. Downsides are they tend to be expensive and I've read they are heavy.

Of the ones mentioned so far on this thread, I'd probably go with a converted Polaroid for what you want. It's the least fiddly and obtrusive.

https://lommen9.home.xs4all.nl/Ameri...seler%201.html

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Not 4X5 but yesterday I was looking at "A First Look at the Graflex XL" as I saw 6 Graflex XLSW bodies FS.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Not 4X5 but yesterday I was looking at "A First Look at the Graflex XL" as I saw 6 Graflex XLSW bodies FS.
    Graflex XLs have a lot of optional parts, some hard to find. I built one using a Brooks Veriwide 6x8cm plus a Graflex snap-on universal 4x5 back so it takes sheet film holders and roll-film backs.

Here it is, ugly but useful and lightweight.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	veriwide-4x5 copy.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	214.0 KB 
ID:	193434

I have a few strange LF hand-builts to show.
    Last edited by Jac@stafford.net; 20-Jul-2019 at 15:02.

I got a Chinese 4x5" version of the Alpa 12 SWA with 30mm rise. Original ment for the 58mm XL, but I bought a lens in too big shutter, so I am using a 65mm Grandagon. Both 4x5" and roll film holders can be used, I prefer the 6x12cm Horseman. Biggest downside is the 2.5 kg weight /5 lb.
    https://www.alpa.ch/en/article/alpa-12-swa

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by interneg View Post
    The answer is: none of them. Not for the size of prints you want to make, unless you are willing to haul enough strobe power with you to hold f16-22 for adequate depth of field. A 6x7 or 6x9 rangefinder and Delta 100 or TMax 100 are all round better bets for this sort of thing. The lenses are better optimised for wider apertures & in many cases much higher resolving than the average LF lens.
    +1 Had a 45 p&s from Fotoman. It was terrible compared to a 6x9 Fuji GW690iii. Heavy cone, single focal length, needed tripod to stay steady. Basically all of the downside of 4x5 with none of the upside.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

I use the 4"x5" Pacemaker Speed Graphic and a 4"x5" Graflex Model D. The Graflex has a plate so that I can use the same film backs on both cameras.
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

I was on a similar quest recently and ended up with a used copy of the Chinese 4x5 rangefinder "Sky Bow" with a 120 Apo-Symmar. I've been using it with Grafmatic backs for handheld street photography. The RF is basic and requires care in use, but is accurate and works well for spontaneous shooting. The Sky Bow is faster to use than the comparable Chamonix Saber and converted Polaroids, slightly bulkier than the former and considerably less bulky than the latter. I have cams for 135 and 150 also and will shortly switch to a 135/3.5 and see if the focus accuracy holds up.

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...x5-rangefinder

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Graflex XLs have a lot of optional parts, some hard to find. I built one using a Brooks Veriwide 6x8cm plus a Graflex snap-on universal 4x5 back so it takes sheet film holders and roll-film backs.

Here it is, ugly but useful and lightweight.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	veriwide-4x5 copy.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	214.0 KB 
ID:	193434

I have a few strange LF hand-builts to show.

That's not ugly, Jac. It's a beautiful example of function over form!

Quote Originally Posted by interneg View Post
    The answer is: none of them. Not for the size of prints you want to make, unless you are willing to haul enough strobe power with you to hold f16-22 for adequate depth of field. A 6x7 or 6x9 rangefinder and Delta 100 or TMax 100 are all round better bets for this sort of thing. The lenses are better optimised for wider apertures & in many cases much higher resolving than the average LF lens.
    I agree.

I can get sharper results handheld with a medium format camera than a 4x5. I do admit that I have a bad back which plays into it some. I made this comment several years ago and Frank Petronio commented that it took him years to figure that out.

I guess the OP can try it and see what results he finds.

I think that for the fluidity and grab-shot look of 35mm street photography in a larger format, you must stick with the medium formats in RF or SLR bodies.

For a 35mm street photo look with medium format ease of use, Look at a Polaroid 110B conversion to 4x5.

However, for a different look, consider a TravelWide for cheap and light or a Graflex Reflex for flexibility in lenses. Both could be made to work with a monopod for a mobility/stability compromise.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!