Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Seeking Advice for 4x5 Handheld Camera

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Seeking Advice for 4x5 Handheld Camera

Hi, I am looking for advice on which 4x5 camera would be best suited for handheld use?

The key here is that I need to be able to use the camera hand held in the field. I am thinking a model that has a rangefinder might be a good idea, but I am unsure because I haven't owned a camera like this before. I currently have a 5x7 wood field camera that I use for landscapes but this isn't suitable for my new project. The new project is for street photography, so I need to be very nimble and be able to focus and respond quickly.

You may be wondering why 4x5 and not a smaller rangefinder? I make large 30x40 and 40x50 silver gelatin prints and so I need the bigger film.

I appreciate any thoughts you may have based on experience.

Thank you,

Larry

Re: Seeking Advice for 4x5 Handheld Camera

The answer is: none of them. Not for the size of prints you want to make, unless you are willing to haul enough strobe power with you to hold f16-22 for adequate depth of field. A 6x7 or 6x9 rangefinder and Delta 100 or TMax 100 are all round better bets for this sort of thing. The lenses are better optimised for wider apertures & in many cases much higher resolving than the average LF lens.

Quote Originally Posted by interneg View Post
    The answer is: none of them. Not for the size of prints you want to make, unless you are willing to haul enough strobe power with you to hold f16-22 for adequate depth of field. A 6x7 or 6x9 rangefinder and Delta 100 or TMax 100 are all round better bets for this sort of thing. The lenses are better optimised for wider apertures & in many cases much higher resolving than the average LF lens.
    +1 Had a 45 p&s from Fotoman. It was terrible compared to a 6x9 Fuji GW690iii. Heavy cone, single focal length, needed tripod to stay steady. Basically all of the downside of 4x5 with none of the upside.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by interneg View Post
    I agree.

I can get sharper results handheld with a medium format camera than a 4x5. I do admit that I have a bad back which plays into it some. I made this comment several years ago and Frank Petronio commented that it took him years to figure that out.

I guess the OP can try it and see what results he finds.

Foamer

Speed Graphic

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Thanks Kent. The focal plane shutter on the speed graphic is a winner... I just need to find a camera that is clean and in good condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    Speed Graphic

Kent in SD

Linhof Master Technika and the Multifocus finder for lenses from 72 to 360mm that can be RF coupled. And the Anatomical grip.
    Or a Wista RF that rangefinder couples 135 to 180mm lenses out of the box.
    Both would be parallax corrected and the Linhof also corrects for field size.
    However while each have full view camera movements the rangefinders and view finders can not be used when movements are applied.

Thanks Bob! That Wista 45RF looks like it could be a great fit. Now to be able to find one...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Linhof Master Technika and the Multifocus finder for lenses from 72 to 360mm that can be RF coupled. And the Anatomical grip.
    Or a Wista RF that rangefinder couples 135 to 180mm lenses out of the box.
    Both would be parallax corrected and the Linhof also corrects for field size.
    However while each have full view camera movements the rangefinders and view finders can not be used when movements are applied.

Linhof is amazing if you want to shoot multiple lenses with coupled RF on all of them.

Speed Graphic is the answer for affordability and fast shutter speeds, if you can get one with a good FP shutter, but only couples with one lens basically.

Both have separate VF and RF which can be a real drag. If that is something you would like, a converted Polaroid 110B or similar is an amazing camera, and the most compact of the options, but can't use multiple lenses with the RF.

I own and use all of these and they each have their pluses and minuses. You don't mention what kind of images you want to make, so not sure if you need something specific. DOF and accuracy of focus will be a problem, especially with separate RF/VF if you drift a little, as well as composing (cropping to fix loose framing will hurt if you are trying to maximize resolution).
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Very helpful info Corran, I appreciate it.

I am starting a new street photography project, so I needed to be mobile and hand-held, but wanted to use 4x5 film.

I didn't realize the single lens coupling to the RF on the speed graphic, so thanks for pointing that out.

Do you know of any good resources for how to adjust the RF with your lens on the speed graphic?

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Linhof is amazing if you want to shoot multiple lenses with coupled RF on all of them.

Speed Graphic is the answer for affordability and fast shutter speeds, if you can get one with a good FP shutter, but only couples with one lens basically.

Both have separate VF and RF which can be a real drag. If that is something you would like, a converted Polaroid 110B or similar is an amazing camera, and the most compact of the options, but can't use multiple lenses with the RF.

I own and use all of these and they each have their pluses and minuses. You don't mention what kind of images you want to make, so not sure if you need something specific. DOF and accuracy of focus will be a problem, especially with separate RF/VF if you drift a little, as well as composing (cropping to fix loose framing will hurt if you are trying to maximize resolution).