Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Seeking Advice for 4x5 Handheld Camera

Re: Seeking Advice for 4x5 Handheld Camera

Quote Originally Posted by corran View Post
    there are two (basically) rangefinder options on the speed - the side-mounted kalart or the top-mounted model that takes cams. The side-mounted is generally preferred for coupling to specific lenses, as the cams are limited to certain lenses and can be hard to find (so buy a camera and lens kit already together, don't try to piece together a kit). Oh, and while it takes these cams, they are hard to get out and install, hence not really being appropriate for multiple lenses, even though technically you can.

The kalart can be coupled...but it's a very difficult and time-consuming process. I've done it about a dozen times and it really is a pita, and i've found that some kalarts just don't work right with some lenses. A couple of times, i simply replaced the entire kalart mechanism and suddenly it coupled just fine...so it's kind of a crap-shoot. Again, finding a camera/lens setup already is great, but of course you'll pay for the privilege.

Ps: Look in this thread for some speed graphic "street" images posted recently by one of our members.

Personally i've shot some candid images on the street with these and the polaroid was definitely the winner as long as the fixed 135mm was the focal length i wanted to use exclusively (you can get them made for a variety of lenses from 90mm up to 150 or maybe 180mm). The linhof though was more precise and i was able to more accurately focus, but drift is a serious issue, when moving the eye from the rf to the vf. If you are shooting moving subjects, stopping down will be your friend...personally i like short dof which is a real challenge...

Here's something i shot years ago with my linhof and 150mm f/2.8 xenotar, at about f/4 i think, on e100vs:

wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
    What an amazing looking camera!

Quote Originally Posted by LFLarry View Post
    4x5 camera would be best suited for handheld use?
    A not very popular choice are the Graflex reflex models. http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Graflex_reflex_models

Graflex RB models look weird devices, but they are reflex, so when you want a selective focus in a dynamic shot then they are pretty powerful. A drawback is that point of view is low, it's perfect to portray moving kids, for adult subjects you shot low, a particular point of view that is not the "standard" at all.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rabato...-Guhryo-pNmsxY

https://www.flickr.com/photos/843132...-oMuKak-2BfweT

https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=graflex%20rb

If you can hold a Technika to your eye and take photos for an entire day, perhaps you could hold this at waist level

I sold this MacVan TLR camera last year. It was originally for 5x7, but had been modified to use a Toyo 4x5 back.

Kumar

Not sure if this is made absolutely clear.

Any RF camera should be guaranteed by seller that at least one good lens is accurately coupled with a working RF finder. If not don't buy.

Most are not and most need adjustment. Some never get there...return rejects.

I have struggled with this and only found satisfaction by buying and trying a few cameras. However I never return anything...

I now have 2, both not 'real' LF but the Baby models which shoot 2X3 sheet film. Both NOS.

Good enough for me, now...
    Tin Can

Just be aware a Linhof Technika with lens will weigh close to 3 kilos!

Norma Sinar Handy Final Version by Nokton48, on Flickr

I built this 9x12cm/4x5" Sinar Handy from original Norma parts, plus whatever else worked.

I tried to make it look "Norma" and it fits right in my Norma collection.

It is an absolute blast to use. It attracts attention of photographers everywhere it goes.

The lens is a dedicated Norma "cone and helical" for the 65mm F8. The center filter travels with it.

The viewfinder is 43mm Mamiya 7
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Daniel, is that a Sinar viewfinder on your Handy?
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Mamiya 43mm Viewfinder from Mamiya 7. Really sweet for this application.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Thanks, Daniel.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know