Thread: Kodak Tech Pan 4415

Kodak Tech Pan 4415

I was given a box of Tech Pan 4415 ISO 25 film that had been frozen until recently. I know its fine grain and tends toward high contrast, but does anyone have experience using dilute Pyrocat or developers with it other than technidol which is no longer available?
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Re: Kodak Tech Pan 4415

Tech Pan requires a very low contrast developer for continuous tone photography.

Photographer’s Formulary TD-3 is available and works great.
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

I've used Rodinal 1:100. That's the original Rodinal, which Agfa no longer makes; I haven't tried the Adox version, so I don't know how true it is to the original.

I have a few packs of Technidol if you want it, as well as an opened box of Tech Pan. Let me know next time you are going to be in the Marietta area.

Tech Pan is one of those silver bullet romance things you can take advantage of. It's a pain in the neck but it's irresistible to certain folks. Best thing to do with it is put it on Ebay and buy 3 boxes of ordinary film with the money.

Quote Originally Posted by esearing View Post
    technidol which is no longer available?
    No problem... use use Delagi #8 that's better than Technidol, less fog.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pympd.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	193371
    https://www.adorama.com/pympd.html

The #8 is a pota modification, you can also use the modified POTA formula in the Film Development Cookbook

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	POTA.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	193372

But for $15 I'd take the #8, that's served Ready To Fly.

"Formulary's Modified POTA (Delagi #8) was formulated by Dick Delagi and is designed for Kodak Technical Pan Film. This developer produces negatives with normal contrast and extremely fine grain. These negatives can be enlarged 25 times without noticeable grain in the print. Modified POTA gives better tonal separations with slightly higher contrast than regular POTA. Film speed is ISO 50-80 . The kit makes 1 liter of working solution which has a life of 1-2 hours. "

So mix only the ammount you need, shelf life of the mixed developer is 1h.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    Tech Pan is one of those silver bullet romance things you can take advantage of. It's a pain in the neck but it's irresistible to certain folks. Best thing to do with it is put it on Ebay and buy 3 boxes of ordinary film with the money.
    Jim, don't be that sacrilege

TP deserves the same reverence tan the front element of a convertible symmar
    Last edited by Pere Casals; 18-Jul-2019 at 16:00. Reason: spelling

Drew Wiley

I never got it to work well in pyro. For con tone work, use the specialty developers like those mentioned on previous threads. I believe Formulary still offers specialty developers. Don't expect great highlight or shadow reproduction in high contrast scenes, or good edge acutance. It is capable of extreme detail. And it's an extended red film, not regular pan. I still have quite a stash of it in 8x10, but for high contrast highlight masking use and certain other specialty lab uses where normal developers apply.

Agree with Jim. But! I have a novel development approach I came up with years ago for TP. Dilute T-Max developer, 1:29 or 1:49, semi-stand. Remind me and I can give you some TMX dev and show you the article I wrote on this.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

My favorite way to shoot TP is at ISO 32, souped in HC-110, dil H. This gives you continuous tone, with a bit more contrast. For true "normal" contrast, you would need a compensating developer, like Technidol. (I never really liked the results of TP in Technidol; just too flat.)

Another way to shoot it is at ISO 200, then 3 minutes in straight Dektol; almost 'litho' results. Lots of fun, too!

Drew Wiley

Yup. Variously tweaking HC-110 is an excellent way to proceed if relatively high contrast results are in mind. But I sure don't recommend Dektol for very high contrast applications, at least for predictable technical needs. Too hard to control, too much risk of staining. Just having fun - sure, why not. And the problem with T-Max developer? - which? Regular roll-film TMax dev, or TMax RS developer?