Thread: Hoffman MetalMaster

Hoffman MetalMaster

I bough a set of three Hoffman MetalMaster 5x7 film holders from ebay. They arrived today and seem nice and clean. They load differently than normal since there is no flap, but I think I have them figured out: pull the rod out at the end and room is made for the film to drop down into the end with the darkslides; slide film in through notch and slide the rod back in, which pushes the film into place. It seems easy to both load and unload in the dark.

But I question if I'm missing a step. There seems to be a lot of room for film movement in these holders, both sliding back and forth and more worryingly drooping and moving towards the lens. If I load a sheet and turn the holder so the film faces the floor I can push the film up a mm or more at the edges, and seemingly twice that in the middle. Compared to this my other 5x7 holders have very little droop and the film doesn't slide around in the holders just moving them. Am I missing some critical step? In my limited research I just saw complaints about the loading mechanics, not the function.

Edit: Here's the ebay link so you can see pictures of the holders: https://www.ebay.com/itm/183875603876
    Last edited by Larry Gebhardt; 17-Jul-2019 at 09:58. Reason: Add link

Re: Hoffman MetalMaster

Are these the vacuum ones that Hoffman sold?

Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Are these the vacuum ones that Hoffman sold?
    Not that I know of, and I can see no perforations I assume would be in a vacuum holder. I added a link to the auction so you can see the actual holders.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Maybe they are - from that link "A metal tube sticks out between the dark slides."

The photos on the auction listing show what could be the same metal tube

The tube is really a solid rod you can push and pull an internal film stop, and there’s a second hole where a smaller rod comes out when you pull the main one. I can’t see any vacuum apparatus in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gebhardt View Post
    The tube is really a solid rod you can push and pull an internal film stop, and there’s a second hole where a smaller rod comes out when you pull the main one. I can’t see any vacuum apparatus in them.
    Larry,

You are right that the solid rod is used for film loading. You pull it out fully. Then pull the dark slides out partially. You slide the film at the other end, same as any film holder. Then close the dark slides and push the rod in fully.

Pete

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Roody View Post
    Larry,

You are right that the solid rod is used for film loading. You pull it out fully. Then pull the dark slides out partially. You slide the film at the other end, same as any film holder. Then close the dark slides and push the rod in fully.

Pete

Thanks Pete. I still wonder if I'm missing some critical step or part. I can't believe the film is supposed to slide around like it does, especially shifting in from the plane of focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gebhardt View Post
    Thanks Pete. I still wonder if I'm missing some critical step or part. I can't believe the film is supposed to slide around like it does, especially shifting in from the plane of focus.
    Larry,

When you push the rod in fully, it tightens the rails against the film and prevents film movement. Sometimes the rods stick and are difficult to fully seat.

I'm beginning to think I ended up with 13x18 holders instead of 5x7. The film is loose in both dimensions by a few mm. It's the only thing I can think of for how these could let the film shift around so much.