Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New FLM Series II Tripods

New FLM Series II Tripods

Posted with moderator approval.

Greetings, everybody!

I've been away for a while, taking a break from photography and honing my carpentry skills. But I still represent FLM ball heads and tripods, and I wanted to let you know about the new Series II tripods.

We have 3 new tripods on offer: CP30-L4 II, CP34 L4 II and CP38-L4 II; all of them would be ideal for large format photography - especially the latter two.
    The number (30, 34, 38) in the designation refers to the maximum tube diameter (mm); L means Long (longer leg sections).

The center post has been entirely eliminated, and all three tripods reach a maximum height of 68 inches (173cm).
    You can see specs and other details here: http://www.flmcanada.com/new-series-ii-tripods.html

The new features include an updated carbon fibre structure (stronger and lighter with increased load capacity), a leaner design resulting in lighter weight and smaller bulk, standard size 3/8" spike feet, 10x carbon tubes, built-in half-bowl (CP34 and CP38), and a greater maximum height.
    The CP34 accepts 75mm bowl accessories, and the CP38 accepts both 75mm (with adapter) and 100mm bowl accessories.

These “L” (Long) size tripods are only available in North America; the European and Asian markets offer different sizes: medium (M) size and small (S) size, respectively.

You can order a tripod directly from the linked website and save 15% off the (eventual) store price. My first delivery will be in September.
    If you have any questions, you can post them here, or contact me directly by email: ari @ flmcanada dot com (without the spaces).

Thank you
    Last edited by Ari; 16-Jul-2019 at 07:55.

Re: New FLM Series II Tripods

Timely!
    Tin Can

Wonderful

Ari,

What do the rubber feet look like?

Are the spikes storable inside the lower leg?

How do the spikes fit with rubber feet?

Are the legs sealed from dust and water?

Will you offer a leveling ball, preferably 100mm?

Is there a hanging hook or female threads under the plates?

Is the CF still Japan sourced?

The rest is still German machined and assembled in Germany?

Are the locks 1/4 turn?

Lastly, how much torque is required to lock legs? I know that may vary, but I have seen GITZO I cannot open. Old man, painful hands...
    Tin Can

Hi Randy,
    Good questions, thanks for asking.

What do the rubber feet look like?
    Are the spikes storable inside the lower leg?
    How do the spikes fit with rubber feet?

Here is a photo of the leg with rubber foot and one photo of the leg with spike.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zam0074_orig.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	193316
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zam0075_orig.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	17.6 KB 
ID:	193317
    The spikes are not meant to be stored inside the leg, the rubber feet and spikes are two different things, i.e., one is not retractable, revealing the other., and you have to remove one in order to use the other.
    Hope I understood that question correctly.

Are the legs sealed from dust and water?
    Having felt-lined grips would offer good protection, but it'd also make the leg sections much harder to retract and replace.
    Without using felt-lined grips, FLM grips have always been quite good in protecting against water, sand and dust.
    The design permits quick and simple disassembly for regular cleaning. A tripod can be disassembled, wiped down and re-assembled in about 5-6 minutes.

Will you offer a leveling ball, preferably 100mm?
    Yes, we have 75mm and 100mm levelling balls.
    If you want to use a 75mm ball on the CP38 tripod, which has a 100mm bowl, then we also offer a 100-75 reducer.

Is there a hanging hook or female threads under the plates?
    There's a socket for a hook.

Is the CF still Japan sourced?
    The rest is still German machined and assembled in Germany?

New owners have been in place for two years now; I'm not as involved with day-to-day affairs as I used to be, but I don't think any of the suppliers have changed, nor has the supply chain been greatly affected.
    Our CF is sourced from Japan; plastic bushings, rubber feet and nylon parts are made in Taiwan; aluminum machining and assembly is done in-house (Germany), while some other parts come from Central Europe (Czech Rep., Hungary).
    The ball heads are still 100% German made, and the factory is slowly moving towards full automation for the ball head manufacturing. Some assembly will still have to be done by humans, especially the friction control assembly.

Are the locks 1/4 turn?
    Lastly, how much torque is required to lock legs? I know that may vary, but I have seen GITZO I cannot open. Old man, painful hands...

Yes, they've always been 1/4 turn, or close to, on every tripod. I'd probably say it's more of 1/3 turn, but not a big difference.
    The important thing is that the tripod opens and folds quickly and easily, and above all, that it never gets in the way of one's work.
    Best thing about a tripod is when you don't notice it's there.
    My hands are ok, but I've never strained to tighten the grips of our tripods, or loosen them.
    When tightening, once enough friction is felt, a quick light cinch is enough to secure the leg section.
    Don't know what that translates to in pounds per foot, but if you can tighten down an 8x10's front standard, you should be fine.

Thanks for the questions.

So these tripods are an evolution from the Indiegogo Berlin 38.4 Tripod? https://www.dpreview.com/news/111743...d-on-indiegogo

I must have missed that offering. I was very busy in 2017.

The FLM Canada website does not show a 100mm leveler. http://www.flmcanada.com/
    Tin Can

Correct, the CP38-L4 II is an updated Berlin; it also uses 38mm tubes, but the spiked feet are now universal 3/8".
    The method for changing accessories (flat plate to half-bowl, for example) is now different.
    The new CP38 tripod weighs about 200g less than the Berlin, and is noticeably slimmer at the top when folded. It can also stand more weight thanks to a design tweak and a new carbon weaving method.

As for the CP34, we've never offered this tripod, as far as I know, and certainly not in North America.

I've updated the FLM Canada website to show that the HB-75, HB-100 and 100-75 reducer are also available.
    I can supply prices for those by email, but expect the HB units to be in the $50-$60 range, and the adapter to cost around $30.00.
    Thank you

Thanks, Johnny. Here's the updated link.

Mark Morris reviews the Series II tripods:

Anybody else preorder a tripod?

My first new tripod in 20 years.

I went for the CP38-L4 II & HB-100, exactly what I wanted from FLM 5 years ago.
    Tin Can

I'm still using the Bogen tripod I got in 1985. Maybe it is time to upgrade. What about that ball head? How does that work with a LF camera? What are all the knobs. I'm afraid I loosen the ball and the camera spills over right, left or center... I have only used a ball head with a plastic camera or something I can hand hold.

I hope Tin Can posts some pictures of his in use with an 8x10 camera on board.