Thread: Bulk Order Opportunity: KODAK AEROCOLOR IV Negative Film 2460

Cool Bulk Order Opportunity: KODAK AEROCOLOR IV Negative Film 2460

------------------------UPDATES(Oct 3st):---------------------
    Checked with my friend and Placed the first bulk order around Oct 3rd. Stay tuned, I'll update here if there is going to be another bulk order.

------------------------UPDATES(Sep 28th):--------------------
    I’ll be transparent from the start—my primary aim is to minimize my shipping costs by placing a substantial film order and simultaneously offer you all the opportunity to save as well. However, my intent isn’t to complicate my life, so if the plan doesn’t pan out, I’ll halt it before more people get involved.
    For this bulk order to be feasible, I'm aiming for orders of more than 40 boxes of 8x10 film (50+ would be ideal) or the equivalent area in 4x5 sheets. I will continually update the order count for each type of film here, to keep all interested parties informed of the progress.
    4x5:22
    8x10:15
    I realize I initially overlooked a significant detail—the distribution of orders across different states in the U.S. Consequently, the final price may need to be adjusted based on domestic shipping rates, which will vary depending on your proximity to my location in Upstate NY.
    Here’s the proposed solution: Once I've accumulated enough orders, I’ll reach out to my friend to obtain a quote for international shipping and the estimated delivery time (expected to be under a month, likely sooner). Subsequently, I’ll divide the total international shipping cost by the number of participants. The ‘Final Price’ for each participant will be calculated as follows:
    Final Price=Price of your film order+(Total international shipping cost/Headcount)+Shipping to your area
    I will confirm and finalize this number with each of you before we proceed with the deal.
    This process was not meant to be that complicated for me from the beginning, but I sincerely hope we all can benefit from this initiative. If we achieve success and satisfaction this time around, we might be able to attract more participants for future orders.
    I am open to any suggestions or corrections and am here to clarify any concerns you might have. Looking forward to a successful collaboration and happy saving to us all!
    ------------------------ORIGINAL POST--------------------------
    Hello fellow large format photography enthusiasts! I am currently residing in the US and planning to purchase KODAK AEROCOLOR IV Negative Film 2460, meticulously cut and repackaged by a friend back in China. For detailed specifications, please refer to KODAK Official Datasheet(https://www.kodak.com/content/pdfs/K...tasheet-en.pdf).

Film Sizes Available:
    4x5
    8x10
    The film is precisely cut by the factory per his instructions.
    Prices:
    $80/box (20 sheets) for 4x5 + Shipping
    $150/box (10 sheets) for 8x10 + Shipping
    Grouping orders together would save considerable amounts on shipping costs(As far as I know, the base rate is $22, with an additional $5.5 for each subsequent kilogram. For shipments weighing 21 kilograms or more, the rate is $7 per kilogram) and potentially lower the film price. Some small discounts might apply for bulk purchases, the details of which can be negotiated with the seller.
    Performance and Usage:From the feedback and sample photos shared by buyers in China, the film demonstrates excellent performance, providing comparable, and in some scenarios superior results to Portra, all while being more cost-efficient. The official ISO is 80, but field tests suggest ISO 200 as optimal, with pushing possibilities up to around ISO 640. Standard C41 process for development, 3 min 15 sec for the first development.
    Please see attached some sample photos from domestic buyers for your reference. If you are interested, feel free to contact me(through messager or instagram:jurohd_) for further communication, and I can coordinate the bulk order(I personally want ~100-150 sheets of them and would like to do a combined bulk order with other photographer to save myself some money). However if you are from other parts of the world(Europe/Australia etc) currently the purpose of this post is only for US photographers to get a good alternative for shooting large format color negatives.
    Note: Please do consider carefully, as this film is repackaged and cut by a third party, not directly by Kodak. Also I am not the dealer so I won't be able to answer a lot of questions related to the after-sales service but he is a good guy and I've known him for a while so I can say he's someone trustable.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	242674Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	242673Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	242675Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	242676Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	242677Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	242678Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	242679Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	242680Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	242681
    Last edited by jurohd; 6-Oct-2023 at 02:56.

Re: Bulk Order Opportunity: KODAK AEROCOLOR IV Negative Film 2460

4x5

Portra 160 (20 sheets): $59 X 2 = $118 (free shipping)
    Mysterious film offered here (20 sheets) $80 x 1 = $80 + shipping

With development at a pro lab (at $4 per sheet)

($59 + $40) X 2 = $198 (free shipping)
    ($80 + $80) X 1 = $160 + shipping

Best case scenario - film is "good" (not defective, not out of date, has no light leaks, dust , scratches, cut to perfect size, etc).
    Conservatively assuming that the shipping ~$20 per box. Savings compared to Portra are around $20 or 10%.

Worst case scenario - one pays the asking price and gets nothing - a loss of at least $100 and having many sleepless nights.
    Next to the worst - the film arrives but not "good" (there could be a variety of reasons) - a loss of at least $140 and having many sleepless nights. Why $140 because one will have to develop at least half of the box to convince themselves that the bad results are not the result of their or the lab's mistakes

Savings of $20 vs loss of $140+

Is the risk worth the potential "savings" ?

Quote Originally Posted by SergeyT View Post
    4x5

Portra 160 (20 sheets): $59 X 2 = $118 (free shipping)
    Mysterious film offered here (20 sheets) $80 x 1 = $80 + shipping

With development at a pro lab (at $4 per sheet)

($59 + $40) X 2 = $198 (free shipping)
    ($80 + $80) X 1 = $160 + shipping

Best case scenario - film is "good" (not defective, not out of date, has no light leaks, dust , scratches, cut to perfect size, etc).
    Conservatively assuming that the shipping ~$20 per box. Savings compared to Portra are around $20 or 10%.

Worst case scenario - one pays the asking price and gets nothing - a loss of at least $100 and having many sleepless nights.
    Next to the worst - the film arrives but not "good" (there could be a variety of reasons) - a loss of at least $140 and having many sleepless nights. Why $140 because one will have to develop at least half of the box to convince themselves that the bad results are not the result of their or the lab's mistakes

Savings of $20 vs loss of $140+

Lol, I must say, your concerns are indeed reasonable, but it seems like you’re going out of your way to paint me, and this offer, in a rather unflattering light. Could we not have had this discussion with a sprinkle more of civility? After all, it’s not like I’m standing behind you with a gun to your head, forcing you to take part in this venture.

These film stocks are straight from Kodak, with an expiration date of March 2025. The likelihood of encountering defects, light leaks, or dust during the cutting process is minimal. It seems you’ve had your fair share of nightmares with defective films and troublesome processing, ending up with garbage results. If only you could channel a mere 1% of the effort you’ve put into this critique into establishing a counterpart to the film cutting workshop in US, we might all be enjoying at least a 30% reduction in price by now.

We are all here out of a shared passion, and there’s no need for unnecessary hostility. A little kindness and respect can go a long way in maintaining a harmonious community atmosphere.

I wouldn't consider an offer like this from a new forum member. They lack the reputation needed to provide security when handling people's money.

Quote Originally Posted by SergeyT View Post

No

Any chance for 5x7 cuts? That indeed would be something unique, as Portra is currently not available in this size...

Sorry Tom there is no 5x7 cuts..

For those who are intrigued by this film qualities and properties : https://reflxlab.com/products/reflx-...ive-sheet-film
    Maybe it is worth ordering a 135 or 120 roll to try it out and check the logistic before committing to a larger order...

https://reflxlab.com/pages/faq
    What are the options & how much for the shipping?
    With STANDARD SHIPPING, we use Air Mail service provided by SF Express or China Post, depending on the destination country. $5 fixed price per order.

I have no affiliation with the company (reflxlab.com)