Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Yosemite Historic Names RESTORED!

Drew Wiley

Re: Yosemite Historic Names RESTORED!

Hi John. I'd think that the hardest part would be surviving the mosquitoes in the meadows below the Crest. I'm opting for Wyoming this summer, where the snowpack is only 110%. Bugs will be bad enough there. Maybe Kings Can late Sept. Heavy snow years like this can be wonderful visually because both Spring-like bloom and Fall color exist side by side in Sept around 9000 ft or so. But the runoff must still be quite dangerous in Yosemite at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Hi John. I'd think that the hardest part would be surviving the mosquitoes in the meadows below the Crest. I'm opting for Wyoming this summer, where the snowpack is only 110%. Bugs will be bad enough there. Maybe Kings Can late Sept. Heavy snow years like this can be wonderful visually because both Spring-like bloom and Fall color exist side by side in Sept around 9000 ft or so. But the runoff must still be quite dangerous in Yosemite at the moment.
    The lads came home early this morning well munched on by those Yosemite skeeters.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

Great news, John. My parents learned never to ask where I was going. When my nephew lived with me, my sister phoned up and made me promise to give him a lecture not to climb Lost Arrow. I patiently listened and promised her he no intention of doing that any time soon - because he already did it the weekend before!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Great news, John. My parents learned never to ask where I was going. When my nephew lived with me, my sister phoned up and made me promise to give him a lecture not to climb Lost Arrow. I patiently listened and promised her he no intention of doing that any time soon - because he already did it the weekend before!
    You would have made a good lawyer. You sound just like me.
    There are 3 kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

$12 million to be able to re-use the names. Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    $12 million to be able to re-use the names. Wow!
    This is what I don't understand---Delaware North and Aramark are concessionaires (Delaware North runs Kings Canyon.) They don't own the facilities nor do/should they own the historic names which proceeded
    their contracts but rather should maintain the names, just like the physical buildings in their care.

There are a lot of different concessionaires (Xanterra in the Grand Canyon, for instance) in the National Parks. I fear this could set a bad (or lucerative, for lawyers,) precedent.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

Lawyers win either way. Last year the shower houses down in Cedar Grove were being fully rebuilt. The concessions both there and higher up at Grant Grove are well run. Was worth it to take advantage of the huge breakfast buffet up at the top after twelve days of backpack food. No name changes there. The problem in Yosemite is that the FORMER concessionaire had acquired the licensing rights to the previous names. If it were me, I'd just forego the lawyers and resume the practice of publicly feeding the bears again, but in this case reintroduce some very hungry grizzlies habituated with a taste for marketing executives.