Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yosemite Historic Names RESTORED!

Re: Yosemite Historic Names RESTORED!

Awesome news!

R/
    Dave

Drew Wiley

Tin Can - what do they do with Sears Tower? All that's left of Sears could be run from the accounting department in the back half of a Roach Coach. There was a saying back when Sears and KMart merged : two drunks tied together in a sack race. That sure proved true. Might as well rename the tower while they still can in order to charge for some new logo privilege. They've darn near run out of every other option to generate cash - already sold more pints of their blood than their body can hold. There's even been discussion within the Govt more than once of outright privatizing National Parks for sake of generating the income to run them. The Ahwahnee might get renamed "McDonald's Naturale". The bears there are already too fat to work behind a counter; so I doubt pilfering French fries all day long would help.

Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Tin Can - what do they do with Sears Tower? All that's left of Sears could be run from the accounting department in the back half of a Roach Coach. There was a saying back when Sears and KMart merged : two drunks tied together in a sack race. That sure proved true. Might as well rename the tower while they still can in order to charge for some new logo privilege. They've darn near run out of every other option to generate cash - already sold more pints of their blood than they're body can hold. There's even been discussion within the Govt more than once of outright privatizing National Parks for sake of generating the income to run them. The Ahwahnee might get renamed "McDonald's Naturale". The bears there are already too fat to work behind a counter; so I doubt pilfering French fries all day long would help.
    Tin Can

What is really cool about this---at Badger Pass seniors ski mid-week free and if you've got the geezer pass, that's good for free entrance into the YNP.
    Hot dog!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

People were still skiing in the Tahoe area last week! Must still be a lot of snow in the real high country further south.

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    Right after the name change, I had a sweatshirt printed with "It's the Ahwahnee, Stupid" and wore it all around and inside the hotel. The manager was none too pleased, but couldn't do anything about it. The employees, however, were delighted and said if I had one made with black letters on white background, they would sign it. So I did, and they did.
    There are 3 kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

Drew Wiley

That was a cool idea! But if it were me, I'd have looked up one of my ole Indian classmates from that side of the river and had them wear the shirt, maybe with the added statement, Weren't the Delawares an East Coast tribe?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    That was a cool idea! But if it were me, I'd have looked up one of my ole Indian classmates from that side of the river and had them wear the shirt, maybe with the added statement, Weren't the Delawares an East Coast tribe?
    If I had an inventory of the shirts, it would have sold out in a heartbeat. One elderly lady sitting in the Ahwahnee Meadow looked at the shirt and said, "Oh, bless you."
    There are 3 kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

Drew Wiley

There are three places which kept the name Ahwahnee alive. Besides the Hotel, there's the little town of Ahwahnee outside the Park. It was completely destroyed by a giant arson forest fire around 1963, but has somewhat rebuilt. I have a family member who lives near there. Then there was a big TB Sanitorium overlooking the San Joaquin canyon called the Ahwahnee, now abandoned. But for awhile it was converted into a big county rest home, just up a tiny road from my place, less than a mile away, but, even if on the wrong river, was where some of the very last true aboriginal members of the Western Miwok passed away, who actually spoke the Ahwahneechee dialect. None of them ever got even a dime from the 19th tourist industry. Most were outright exterminated during the Gold Rush. On our side of the River it was a different story, and the Monache were not even fully pacified until around 1915.

My son and his climbing bud are doing the Mathis Crest Traverse and Unicorn Peak this very day.
    This is not terribly good for my blood pressure.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White