Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Trial with the new B's 4x5 Developing reel

Re: Trial with the new B's 4x5 Developing reel

HP Combiplan can develop 6 sheets with 1000mL of chemistry, or you can back-to-back the sheets with the same amount - meaning less than 100ml per sheet.

I've done it for years now and film development cost is minuscule using Rodinal, HC-110, or replenished developers. More exotic developers that cost more of course, cost more...

I've never had any development problems in all my years, including using BTZS tubes for small-batch or single development, trays, or the Combiplan. I don't fill the Combiplan FYI - I mix the chemicals in the tank, then in the dark load the film holder and dunk it straight in, put the top on, then turn the lights back on.

Lots of options other than a Jobo. Never really saw the appeal myself. Good luck.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
    I wasn't comparing it to trays. It was tanks/reels and drums, as that's what the topic was about. Afaic, it's either the Expert drums, or trays. I'd suggest hangers and tanks, but those inhale chemistry like a camel swallows water in the desert (so to speak).
    There are many ways to develop 4x5 sheet film:

* Tanks such as the Nikkor or Nikkor-style stainless steel tanks, SP-445, CombiPlan, various inserts to go into a Paterson tank, etc.

* Tubes like the BTZS setup or homemade tubes.

* Tanks/hangers (cost is minimal when using developers such as Rodinal, HC-110, various pyro formulas, etc)

* Trays

And, probably a host of other methods not listed here. Just sayin... Lots of options.

tons of options for sure, and having done most of those, or variations of, I'll never go back haha. Trays would be the only thing I cld see myself doing again, but honestly, after using Expert drums, it does everything so much better, or easier perhaps is better way of putting it. I understand the cost of getting into it pretty much shuts a lot of people out, unfortunately...
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

The combiplan holder & a few tanks could make a nice dip/ dunk system - the tank on its own is horribly slow filling & draining. Nova used to sell a temperature controlled system based on this sort of mini dip/dunk idea.

Nothing wrong with the BTZS tubes, especially if you don't like shuffling sheets, just less convenient than a Jobo for colour etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
    Trays would be the only thing I cld see myself doing again, but honestly, after using Expert drums, it does everything so much better, or easier perhaps is better way of putting it.
    First let me reiterate that the Expert is absolutely amazing, principal drawbacks are the loss of agitation as a control factor and cost.

Also that B's reel is very good, those problems OP has are not related to the B's system.

...but let me point that tray development can be even more convenient than the expert, see the comming SP-8x10 :

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	prototype-3-inside-LR.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	193377

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spp.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	193378

This is daylight, you make four 45 sheets, you may use a different development time (N+/-, different films) for each sheet, you move to the Stop bath sooner or later each sheet if you want, after sheets are in the stop (15s after) you can open lights to do the rest lights open, and the tank is ready to take more sheets while you fix-wash...

We can do that DIY, just placing some (cheap) sterilization mesh trays inside an old paper safe, so we move the sheets to the Stop easily, ad we have a daylight tank that's easy to load.

So IMHO it's not anymore about rocking a tray in the darkness, with some DIY or with the comming SP-8x10 trays can be very convenient and powerful.

Which Jobs expert drum should I get for 8x10 and 4x5? and can you use it on a Beseller motor base
    Thanks
    Come and see what I have done up and until now at www.neilsphotography.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by interneg View Post
    The combiplan holder & a few tanks could make a nice dip/ dunk system - the tank on its own is horribly slow filling & draining. Nova used to sell a temperature controlled system based on this sort of mini dip/dunk idea.

Nothing wrong with the BTZS tubes, especially if you don't like shuffling sheets, just less convenient than a Jobo for colour etc.
    As long as you give the light tight hose connector a half twist when filling or emptying the times are consistent. So you start timing when you start to pour and stop when it is fully empty. Just twist the connector closed before agitating.

Quote Originally Posted by interneg View Post
    That's why I fill and drain mine with the lid off and in the dark (or under red light for x-ray film). The real barrier is it's no longer being manufactured & the remaining stock of spare parts is diminishing.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."

seezee at Mercury Photo Bureau
    seezee on Flickr
    seezee's day-job at Messenger Web Design

Quote Originally Posted by ndwgolf View Post
    Which Jobs expert drum should I get for 8x10 and 4x5? and can you use it on a Beseller motor base
    Thanks

3010 for 4x5 and 3005 for 8x10. there's also a 3006 which can be used for 4x5 and 5x7. I presume your Beseler base shld work fine as I use a Simma roller base. It doesn't reverse direction, but does have offset wheels which kind of rocks the drum left to right. I flip the drum manually if I want reverse direction.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...